This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Current Dancer News

Ashton Edwards will guest with NYCB in Justin Peck’s The Times Are Racing on January 27 (8pm) and January 28 (3pm) to celebrate NYCB’s 75th Anniversary season, representing PNB.  Dancers from other companies with NYCB connections who will participate are Alexandra Hutchinson from Dance Theatre of Harlem (Dewdrop), ABT’s Gillian Murphy and Aran Bell (Other Dances), and Miami City Ballet’s Taylor Naturkas and Brooks Landegger (Midsummer Night’s Dream Act II Divertissement).  Also, Terrence Mann will be in Carnival of the Animals.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Terrence-Mann-More-to-Join-New-York-City-Ballets-75th-Anniversary-Performances-20231128

Not recent news, but a few weeks ago, Kurt Frohman posted the first part of the Sugar Plum Fairy variation to his Instagram account.  In it Melissa Hayden performs the original choreography, with turning rondes de jambes on the quarter.  It replaced the turns coming  forward up the center.

NYCB revived it for at least the one performance I saw it, and I went back to see if I had notated anywhere what performance that was.  I keep envisioning Kyra Nichols doing it, but I'm not certain, because I didn't asterisk it or write down a note.

But what I did find was that in 2001, I saw Ryan Cardea as Nephew.

To clarify, I mean Balanchine's original choreography, not the Petipa, which I assume was what, or closer to what, Danilova was dancing.

The style had changed radically since Danilova's, and Hayden's is much closer to the way it's danced today than Hayden's was to Danilova's.

Along with the early subscriber package today came the Winter 2024 Ballet Arizona newsletter. The Studio Company Spotlight on page 5 featured Jordan Islas.

Q: Who is your greatest dance inspiration?

A: One of my inspirations is Jonathan Batista, a Principal with Pacific Northwest Ballet!  I admire his work ethic and talent and am fascinated by his journey, coming from  Brazil and getting a full scholarship to English National Ballet School.  To see a person that looks like me, achieving such a high title in the ballet world, gave me a north star.  It showed me the culture for black dancers was becoming less rigid and more accepting.  I hope I can shine just as bright as him and let others, who might not feel seen, know that they belong despite the norms of the ballet world.

On 11/29/2023 at 10:24 AM, Helene said:

And dad to NYCB’s Shelby Mann:

https://www.nycballet.com/discover/meet-our-dancers/corps-de-ballet/shelby-mann/

She danced in this discussion between Wendy Whelan, Jacques d’Amboise, and Christopher d’Amboise from 2015:

I guess that she decided on ballet after all. It looks like Wendy wasn’t going to let her get away.

Thanks for the video clip which I might keep on file for future use.

She’s precious here. I hope that she has great success and always has that wonderful smile, inside and out.

I just got an email from Tacoma Urban Performing Arts Center (T.U.P.A.C) about an upcoming screening of "Lift," Misty Copeland's documentary, on February 25 at 3pm at the Center::

Hosted by none other than Jonathan Batista, Pacific Northwest Ballet's trailblazing first Black Principal Dancer, this event promises to take you on an unforgettable journey through the world of pre-professional ballet instruction. Prepare to be moved by the incredible stories of marginalized Black ballet students as they defy the odds and pursue their dreams on stage.

Join us as we shine a spotlight on the invaluable contributions of Pacific Northwest Ballet's Black dancers, including Tacoma's own Soloist, Amanda Morgan, the visionary Ashton Edwards, and the captivating Destiny Wimpye. They'll be sharing their personal challenges and triumphs, inspiring us all to reach for the stars.

Don't miss this chance to experience the culture, resilience, and creativity of Black ballet dancers firsthand! Reserve your seat now for an evening filled with beauty, empowerment, and inspiration. Let's come together to honor the past, celebrate the present, and ignite inspiration for the future. Join us for this exhilarating, one-of-a-kind Tacoma event!