• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pbl

pbl

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:05 PM

Hi Everyone-

I'm going to see Onegin tonight (Monday night) at ABT. I'm wondering if anyone can take a moment to let me know some of the highlights, some of the moments to watch for. And any general thoughts on this ballet. It isn't in RGs book . . .

Thank you,

Paris.

#2 JMcN

JMcN

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:29 AM

I love Onegin. There are 2 major and powerful duets for Tatiana and Onegin - at the end of Act 1 and in the final scene. There's also a lovely duet for Tatiana and Gremin in Act 3 and for Olga and Lensky in Act 1. The smaller details I like are the girls looking in the mirror in Act 1 to see their future husbands - it's the first time Tatiana sees Onegin. I also like watching Onegin at the card table at the party in Act 2 and the callous way he rejects Tatiana. The end of the garden scene in Act 1 always brings a gasp from the audience.

Enjoy!

#3 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:14 AM

In addition to the above mentioned portions of the choreography, Lensky's solo (right before he goes to meet Onegin for their gun fight is wonderful.

#4 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

In addition to the above mentioned portions of the choreography, Lensky's solo (right before he goes to meet Onegin for their gun fight is wonderful.

I saw Jared Matthews dance this role on Monday night, and he was extraordinary. It's a difficult solo that demands perfection and Jared nailed it. In addition, his acting in the scenes leading up to the duel was completely believable.

#5 AlbanyGirl

AlbanyGirl

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:09 PM

Hi Everyone-

I'm going to see Onegin tonight (Monday night) at ABT. I'm wondering if anyone can take a moment to let me know some of the highlights, some of the moments to watch for. And any general thoughts on this ballet. It isn't in RGs book . . .

Thank you,

Paris.

What is RG's book, pbl? Thanks,

#6 pbl

pbl

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

Here's the book:

http://www.amazon.co...obert grescovic

Hi Everyone-

Thank you,

Paris.

#7 AlbanyGirl

AlbanyGirl

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:07 AM

Here's the book:

Hi Everyone-

Thank you,

Paris.

pbl, enjoy the performance. I didn't know rg was Robert Greskovic! I do have that book and really love it. Guess what's playing on my classical station WMHT? The Russian Dance from Swan Lake! I love that piece. .

#8 AlbanyGirl

AlbanyGirl

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:07 AM

Here's the book:

Hi Everyone-

Thank you,

Paris.

pbl, enjoy the performance. I didn't know rg was Robert Greskovic! I do have that book and really love it. Guess what's playing on my classical station WMHT? The Russian Dance from Swan Lake! I love that piece. .

Sorry, pbl, I sdhould have said - how was the performance, as you've already seen it...............

#9 pbl

pbl

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

It was wonderful. I thought it was really suited to Vishneva's style and presence. Isabella Boylston was a real treat too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):