This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Onegin highlightsSeeing it for the first time

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pbl

pbl

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:05 PM

Hi Everyone-

I'm going to see Onegin tonight (Monday night) at ABT. I'm wondering if anyone can take a moment to let me know some of the highlights, some of the moments to watch for. And any general thoughts on this ballet. It isn't in RGs book . . .

Thank you,

Paris.

#2 JMcN

JMcN

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:29 AM

I love Onegin. There are 2 major and powerful duets for Tatiana and Onegin - at the end of Act 1 and in the final scene. There's also a lovely duet for Tatiana and Gremin in Act 3 and for Olga and Lensky in Act 1. The smaller details I like are the girls looking in the mirror in Act 1 to see their future husbands - it's the first time Tatiana sees Onegin. I also like watching Onegin at the card table at the party in Act 2 and the callous way he rejects Tatiana. The end of the garden scene in Act 1 always brings a gasp from the audience.

Enjoy!

#3 abatt

abatt

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:14 AM

In addition to the above mentioned portions of the choreography, Lensky's solo (right before he goes to meet Onegin for their gun fight is wonderful.

#4 angelica

angelica

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

In addition to the above mentioned portions of the choreography, Lensky's solo (right before he goes to meet Onegin for their gun fight is wonderful.

I saw Jared Matthews dance this role on Monday night, and he was extraordinary. It's a difficult solo that demands perfection and Jared nailed it. In addition, his acting in the scenes leading up to the duel was completely believable.

#5 KarenAG

KarenAG

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:09 PM

Hi Everyone-

I'm going to see Onegin tonight (Monday night) at ABT. I'm wondering if anyone can take a moment to let me know some of the highlights, some of the moments to watch for. And any general thoughts on this ballet. It isn't in RGs book . . .

Thank you,

Paris.

What is RG's book, pbl? Thanks,

#6 pbl

pbl

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

Here's the book:

http://www.amazon.co...obert grescovic

Hi Everyone-

Thank you,

Paris.

#7 KarenAG

KarenAG

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:07 AM

Here's the book:

Hi Everyone-

Thank you,

Paris.

pbl, enjoy the performance. I didn't know rg was Robert Greskovic! I do have that book and really love it. Guess what's playing on my classical station WMHT? The Russian Dance from Swan Lake! I love that piece. .

#8 KarenAG

KarenAG

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:07 AM

Here's the book:

Hi Everyone-

Thank you,

Paris.

pbl, enjoy the performance. I didn't know rg was Robert Greskovic! I do have that book and really love it. Guess what's playing on my classical station WMHT? The Russian Dance from Swan Lake! I love that piece. .

Sorry, pbl, I sdhould have said - how was the performance, as you've already seen it...............

#9 pbl

pbl

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

It was wonderful. I thought it was really suited to Vishneva's style and presence. Isabella Boylston was a real treat too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):