64 replies to this topic

#61 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,018 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

A kind person sent me an email to point out that it was the demi-soloists who have the bejeweled helmets, not the corps members, who wear the butterfly clips:

Attached File  Diamonds-2.jpg   53.73KB   0 downloads

I like the idea of the soft tutus much more than the implementation, especially since they're cut above the knee.  They don't seem to be this or that.  I've never been a great fan of most of Karinska's designs, though.

POB managed beautifully with slightly soft formal tutus for "Diamonds," but the stage at the Bastille is so huge that when they do the last act of "Raymonda" as a stand-alone, it looks like none of the guests arrived for the wedding, and in "4 T's" Melancholic looks like he's doing his solo in the middle of the ocean.

#62 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

POB managed beautifully with slightly soft formal tutus for "Diamonds," but the stage at the Bastille is so huge that when they do the last act of "Raymonda" as a stand-alone, it looks like none of the guests arrived for the wedding, and in "4 T's" Melancholic looks like he's doing his solo in the middle of the ocean.

Seems like that's where the art of stage lighting should come into play - to 'shrink' the stage when necessary, and expand the view when necesary. But I suppose some people would feel that's too much messing about with the visuals.

#63 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,018 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

POB could do what it wants with "Raymonda," although it needs the width to perform the choreography the way it's now blocked, but when an audience member asked in a Q&A whether PNB had experimented with different colors on the cyclotron, Peter Boal said that Trust dictates "Balanchine blue" and I'm not sure how kosher it would be to shrink the stage lighting-wise.  At the Bastille, it would become a tunnel if the stage was narrowed.

#64 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,018 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:10 PM

An artcle about Sarasota Ballet explains the Farrell photo:

One of the things [Sarasota Ballet Principal Danielle] Brown learned involved the elaborate headpiece that is part of the lead ballerina's costume in "Diamonds." After sitting through an entire pre-performance photo shoot, the dancer realized she had been wearing it backwards.

But when Farrell casually commented, "Oh, I did the same thing for a photo shoot once. That way you can see all the jewels," an embarrassed Brown said, "Oh....yeah....right."

If it was good enough for Suzanne Farrell, it was good enough for her.

#65 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:31 PM

Sweet!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):