This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Evolution of Ballet

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 lmspear

lmspear

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:01 PM

Check out the Suki Schorer book on Balanchine technique.

#17 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:05 PM

That's an excellent suggestion.

#18 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:08 PM

That's an excellent suggestion.

You probably missed my "Added:" but doesn't Peter Boal do this sort of demonstration ?

Thanks, Imspear.

Added: And perhaps simple enough for a person with minimal ballet vocabulary, like myself, to understand.

#19 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:53 PM

Boal did a lecture-demonstration with Francia Russell illustrating some of the differences between early and later Balanchine (that is, differences between their own periods in the company) but I don't know that it's available as a whole online anywhere.  I thought you were looking for something comparing Balanchine's neo-classical developments with his classical heritage.

#20 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:01 PM

I thought you were looking for something comparing Balanchine's neo-classical developments with his classical heritage.

I am.

#21 Marcmomus

Marcmomus

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:14 PM

I find Nancy Goldner's essays on 20 Balanchine ballets useful in placing his work, and how it differed.

Goldner, Nancy. (2008) Balanchine Variations. Gainesville: University Press of Florida. 

#22 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:50 PM

Sorry, I missed the reply to my comment.

Marcmomus is onto a good source -- both of Goldner's books (Balanchine Variations and More Balanchine Variations) talk about the specificity of the work.  The video Essay series I mentioned originally also does some compare/contrast of fundamental material (technique level distinctions).

#23 Lynette H

Lynette H

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:57 AM

The Royal has more sessions scheduled in "Ballet Evolved" in early November, so keep an eye out for further items becoming available.

#24 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:31 AM

Oh good!  Looking forward...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):