This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Evolution of Ballet

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 lmspear

lmspear

• PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:01 PM

Check out the Suki Schorer book on Balanchine technique.

#17 sandik

sandik

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,695 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:05 PM

That's an excellent suggestion.

#18 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:08 PM

That's an excellent suggestion.

You probably missed my "Added:" but doesn't Peter Boal do this sort of demonstration ?

Thanks, Imspear.

Added: And perhaps simple enough for a person with minimal ballet vocabulary, like myself, to understand.

#19 sandik

sandik

Diamonds Circle

• 5,695 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:53 PM

Boal did a lecture-demonstration with Francia Russell illustrating some of the differences between early and later Balanchine (that is, differences between their own periods in the company) but I don't know that it's available as a whole online anywhere.  I thought you were looking for something comparing Balanchine's neo-classical developments with his classical heritage.

#20 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:01 PM

I thought you were looking for something comparing Balanchine's neo-classical developments with his classical heritage.

I am.

#21 Marcmomus

Marcmomus

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:14 PM

I find Nancy Goldner's essays on 20 Balanchine ballets useful in placing his work, and how it differed.

Goldner, Nancy. (2008) Balanchine Variations. Gainesville: University Press of Florida. 

#22 sandik

sandik

Diamonds Circle

• 5,695 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:50 PM

Sorry, I missed the reply to my comment.

Marcmomus is onto a good source -- both of Goldner's books (Balanchine Variations and More Balanchine Variations) talk about the specificity of the work.  The video Essay series I mentioned originally also does some compare/contrast of fundamental material (technique level distinctions).

#23 Lynette H

Lynette H

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:57 AM

The Royal has more sessions scheduled in "Ballet Evolved" in early November, so keep an eye out for further items becoming available.

#24 sandik

sandik

Diamonds Circle

• 5,695 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:31 AM

Oh good!  Looking forward...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):