36 replies to this topic

#1 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,249 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:49 AM

Lindsi Dec and Karel Cruz will perform Desdemona and Othello in Gillmer Duran's "Othello" with Alaska Dance Theatre on 2-3 March:

http://www.anchorage...1871e3ce6c.html

Oregon Ballet Theatre's Artur Sultanov will dance Iago.  They will make a physically striking trio.

I'm glad in particular for Dec:  this will give her a meaty, serious dramatic role.

[Alaska Press]: Why a ballet version of Othello? Why not, say, Hamlet or Romeo and Juliet?

[Codie Costello, Executive Director]: I think it's a timely story with everything happening in our world today, and people's perceptions of each other, and sense of entitlement, and those kinds of issues. Gilmer's been exploring the themes of it for such a long time. I think it's the right story at the right time for us.

AP: How do the themes of "Othello" connect to Anchorage as a multicultural community?

CC: Well I think it fits really well. I think that trying to achieve perspective, trying to humanize the characters, that there is really less about them that's different and more that's similar. We face a lot of those issues in our own community.Also, the performing arts give people an opportunity to sit together in a space and have an experience together that allows increased cultural connections. I mean, who knows who you're going to be sitting next to in the audience, right?

#2 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:24 AM

Lindsi Dec and Karel Cruz will perform Desdemona and Othello in Gillmer Duran's "Othello"
Oregon Ballet Theatre's Artur Sultanov will dance Iago. They will make a physically striking trio.

Striking and tall!

The Limon company is on their 65th anniversary tour with his Othello work (The Moor's Pavane) in the repertory -- they'll be in Seattle in March. Aside from the Lubovitch ballet, how many other dance versions of the play have there been?

#3 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,249 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

Carla Korbes is listed as one of the featured performers at the Vail Festival 2012. It isn't clear from the website whether she will perform on 3 August, 4 August, or both days, since there is one listing for both performances:

https://www.vaildanc...sionlanguage=EN

#4 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,249 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:16 AM

Lindsi Dec and Karel Cruz will perform in Lafayette Ballet Theatre's "Cinderella" on Saturday, 31 March at 7pm. The performance takes place at the Heymann Performing Arts Center. Uko Gorter, a wonderful former dancer at PNB, who now does many character roles with the company, performs Father.

http://theadvocate.c...0-31/cinderella

The best quote, from Co-Artistic Director Shannon Heath:

"The story does deviate from say, Disney."

#5 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:08 AM

The best quote, from Co-Artistic Director Shannon Heath:

"The story does deviate from say, Disney."

Not to mention how Disney deviates from the story?

Dec and Cruz have been getting around lately -- I'm glad they've had so many opportunities.

#6 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:34 PM

This is something of a backwards "performing elsewhere," since I think this already took place, but I noticed when I was reading a blog posting by Daniel Duell about his experiences teaching at the Royal Danish Ballet, that in a poster advertising Ballet Chicago's production of Rubies, there was current PNB dancer Matthew Renko!

#7 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:05 PM

This is something of a backwards "performing elsewhere," since I think this already took place, but I noticed when I was reading a blog posting by Daniel Duell about his experiences teaching at the Royal Danish Ballet, that in a poster advertising Ballet Chicago's production of Rubies, there was current PNB dancer Matthew Renko!

Not as past as I had thought, he got a nice mention in a review here as well as the discussion here on Ballet Alert in the Ballet Chicago forum...

#8 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,249 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:36 AM

Maria Chapman is in Naples preparing to dance Aurora this weekend in Naples Ballet's production of "The Sleeping Beauty", with former PNB Principal Dancer Le Yin as Prince Desire.

Former Principal Dancer Christophe Maraval is Ballet Master for the production.

Logan Learned from Sarasota Ballet will dance Bluebird.

http://www.naplesnew...months-of-hard/

#9 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:21 AM

Helene (or anyone), has Maria danced Aurora at PNB? If so, I don't remember when.

#10 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,249 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:12 AM

She did the Wedding Scene during the Love Stories program earlier in the season, and she was beautiful in it: radiant and with a sense of young majesty.

#11 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:07 PM

But not the full Sleeping Beauty as far as you remember, right?

#12 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,249 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:08 PM

Carla Korbes and Seth Orza performed the "White Swan Pas de deux" and Sarah Ricard Orza and Lucien Postlewaite performed in "Red Angels" for Nevada Ballet Theatre's 40th Anniversary celebration earlier in May:

http://www.lvrj.com/...75.html?ref=075

#13 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,249 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:15 PM

She was not cast in 2010. I didn't see her in 2006, but I only saw two performances from that run.

#14 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

She was not cast in 2010. I didn't see her in 2006, but I only saw two performances from that run.

I don't have my full file with me, but I do know that Mara Vinson made her debut as Aurora that year -- I don't recall Chapman in the role.

#15 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,249 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:14 PM

Maria Chapman will perform two solos from "Swan Lake" in the Olympia Dance Festival this Sunday, 3 March.

http://www.theolympi...link=weekendnav

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):