This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Massine's LABYRINTH1941 newsphoto showing Toumanova, Eglevsky and others

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:35 PM

scan of Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo publicty photo of LABYRINTH, Massine's Dali-designed ballet based on the story of Theseus and Ariadne.
the oddly trimmed print came this way when i acquired it.
the photo's Dec. dating comes following the ballet's Oct. premiere at NYC's Metropolitan Opera House.

Attached Files

#2 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,272 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:41 AM

Great pic...! :thanks:
I wish someone would have started working at some point to preserve Massine's ballets. The majority of them seem to be lost by now... :crying:

#3 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:53 AM

Great pic...! :thanks:
I wish someone would have started working at some point to preserve Massine's ballets. The majority of them seem to be lost by now... :crying:

Perhaps another Ratmansky will come along and revive them. Le Beau Danube is one of my favorites, and with his interest in Shostakovich ballets, maybe the present day Mr. Ratmansky will do Rouge et Noir.

#4 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,272 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:08 AM

One time I was in a conference in which Alonso talked about Aleko, Capricio Espagnol and Le Tricorne. She said she loved dancing on them...

http://www.corbisima...1b-d713aa91d86d

#5 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• 7,320 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:04 PM

The caption tells us all the things that Dali was in charge of (including those costumes, which certainly look to be dance-UNfriendly).

Dali also wrote the libretto. From the "paranoic imagination" expressed in the story line -- and from the strenuous posing of the dancers in the photo -- I would guess that this ballet is NOT in the same genre the only three Massine works I have seenl: Beau Danube, Capriccio Espagnol, and Parade.

Greek melodrama, a dash of paranoia, and complicated costuming: sounds a bit like Martha Graham. :wink:

Does anyone know who composed the music?

#6 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:10 PM

a reference i found says it was schubert's symphony no. 7.

#7 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:47 PM

http://massine-balle...out_massine.php

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):