rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:34 PM

"DINNER WITH BALANCHINE" June 27, 1993 @ 4 p.m. program scans follow:
1] house program (8 p. spread)
2] house program corrections insert (1 slip)
3] schedule of events sheet (1 page)

Attached Files

• Attached File  DwB1.JPG   60.98KB   52 downloads
  • Attached File  DwB2.JPG   132.03KB   62 downloads
  • Attached File  Dwb3.JPG   150.29KB   65 downloads
  • Attached File  DwB4.JPG   143.92KB   64 downloads
  • Attached File  DwB5.JPG   62.45KB   63 downloads
  • Attached File  DwBi.JPG   28.89KB   61 downloads
  • Attached File  DwBs.JPG   118.55KB   47 downloads

#17 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,199 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:21 PM

Thank you so much rg :flowers:

That brings back so many memories. I can't believe I forgot the appetizer course, and the program explains why the "American Dessert" was not Russian :)

#18 Quiggin

Quiggin

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:13 PM

Bart:

Would love to have seen her in Diamonds.

Apologies - it was Symphony in C, the slow movement, not Diamonds. I just came across an unposted postcard to someone who had been disappointed a year or so before when Darcey Bussell had been advertised in Sleeping Beauty with the Royal but replaced by Vivien Durante, who seemed lost on the big Metropolitan Opera stage.

Bussell was nicely partnered by Robert Lyon at City Ballet - in the wonderful lifts barely breaking the the imaginary surface tension when her foot touched the stage floor. She had a perfect legato that made the rest of the company look like it was going too fast, at the wrong speed. She would be doing Agon again that week.

Interesting to hear the comparison between Bussell and Diana Adams. You were so lucky to have seen Adams - according to the D'amboise memoir oftentimes she didn't dance when scheduled, even in works that had been choreographed for her.

And thanks, rg for the program copies - and all those names of dancers I had forgotten that I had seen and always looked forward to seeing again and again.

#19 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:55 AM

good to have this clarification re: Bussell and her Balanchine rep. w/ NYCB.
i kept wondering how i could have missed her in "Jewels" - nevermind, i certainly recall her 2nd mov. SYMPHONY IN C, most memorably.

#20 Brioche

Brioche

Inactive Member

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:43 PM

San Francisco Ballet's Elizabeth Loscavio did a killer job on that solo on the Balanchine Celebration DVD's,

AND the audience appreciated it and the curtain calls were wonderful.

#21 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,199 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:17 PM

San Francisco Ballet's Elizabeth Loscavio did a killer job on that solo on the Balanchine Celebration DVD's,

The best part was that she didn't come as a star of one of the big European companies (Legris from POB, Ayupova and Zelensky [who also performed with NYCB], from the Mariinsky, Durante and Bussell from Royal Ballet), one of the other NY companies (Jaffee and Collins from ABT, Perry from Dance Theatre of Harlem [also formerly ABT], or even a guest from a Children of Balanchine company with whom the audience might have been familiar from Pacific Northwest Ballet's "Nutcracker" movie and the company's tour to BAM, which was much lauded by Arlene Croce. I don't think many people knew who she was, and she got a only polite reception when she came on stage, a stark contrast to the way she left.

#22 jsmu

jsmu

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:34 PM

Ms. Loscavio is one of perhaps three ballerinas (including Marnee Morris, on whom the role was made)
who have ever done all of Balanchine's original steps in the notorious turning variation--
the role is usually simplified beyond recognition now. The especially egregious Heather Watts
omitted quantities of difficulty when she was slaughtering this and so many other roles during
her Eighties rampage, but even Merrill Ashley changed some steps in this role. Ms. Loscavio
was a paragon.

#23 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,199 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:40 PM

Loscavio was a fantastic dancer, in my opinion as good as any I saw at NYCB. I was lucky to have seen her many times; when I worked with partners in the Bay Area, I went to SFB regularly when they were in season, and I remember the seasons in the smaller venues when War Memorial was being renovated.

#24 jsmu

jsmu

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:14 PM

Loscavio was a fantastic dancer, in my opinion as good as any I saw at NYCB. I was lucky to have seen her many times; when I worked with partners in the Bay Area, I went to SFB regularly when they were in season, and I remember the seasons in the smaller venues when War Memorial was being renovated.

I thought so too--in my opinion as good as any I saw anywhere. I saw her a lot, though not as much as I'd have liked--I too remember alternate venues. remember the Palace of Fine Arts shows especially well, when Loscavio was the company's young virtuoso and they still had Allemann, Adam, Cisneros (another great dancer), Legate, etc. What roles did you like her best in?

#25 MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:09 AM

Does anyone know if the 1983 Der Rosenkavalier with Suzanne Farrell is available for viewing at the NY Public Library at Lincoln Center?

And just in general, is there a way to access their video database without going there?

#26 emilienne

emilienne

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:23 AM

Does anyone know if the 1983 Der Rosenkavalier with Suzanne Farrell is available for viewing at the NY Public Library at Lincoln Center?

And just in general, is there a way to access their video database without going there?

The NYPL has their catalogue online here, but the system (I find) is idiosyncratic in the keywords offered for different videos. I often have to do 2-3 different searches before being satisfied with the coverage offered.

The record for the Vienna Waltzes broadcast on WNET is here and seems to be available for viewing on videotape.

#27 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,199 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:25 AM

The link to the NYPL catalog is here:

http://www.nypl.org/collections

You can use it to search for any item.

The results page for a search on "Rosenkavalier Farrell" is:

http://catalog.nypl....EFAAC1?lang=eng

All available without permit are for in use at the library.

The NYPL often has many performances of ballets that were made for archival purposes and never shown on PBS or made available for commercial use, including several of Farrell in "Vienna Waltzes". They are dated 25 and 28 May 1983, and 9 June 1983. The performance used for the broadcast was taped in October 1983. The principal casting is the same, except that in one of the May performances, Daniel Duell danced "Explosion Polka", and in the others and the broadcast, Bart Cook did.

#28 Nick Wallace-Smith

Nick Wallace-Smith

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:29 AM

hi Makarovafan

yes, it's Stephanie Saland and Adam Lubers in Der Rosenkavalier from Vienna Waltzes (1977) on the vol 1 of Balanchine celebration.

cheers

#29 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,207 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:42 PM

I was very impressed by Agon with Darcey Bussell

Yes indeed. I can never understand those who dismiss the work of this beautiful dancer as facile. I saw -- and and actually remember -- Diana Adams in the part, dancing with Arthur Mitchell. Bussell had much the same look, I think. And a similar body type.

{Bussell] had also done an Emeralds and/or Diamonds a week or so before.

Would love to have seen her in Diamonds.

I was also impressed by Bussell's Agon pas on the tape. I haven't seen it in a long time but I thought it was missing a crucial factor - in Mitchell's words, quoted from memory, "It's not the difficulty of the steps or how flexible you are, it's the precariousness."  Bussell didn't have that tension. Seconded about "Diamonds," definitely.....

#30 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,207 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:47 PM

jsmu:

Ms. Loscavio is one of perhaps three ballerinas (including Marnee Morris, on whom the role was made) who have ever done all of Balanchine's original steps in the notorious turning variation-- the role is usually simplified beyond recognition now. The especially egregious Heather Watts omitted quantities of difficulty when she was slaughtering this and so many other roles during her Eighties rampage, but even Merrill Ashley changed some steps in this role. Ms. Loscavio was a paragon.

Ashley writes of her struggles with this number in "Dancing for Balanchine."  She did change steps in the variation, but not before manfully, or womanfully, trying to meet its challenges. (She couldn't do repeated double fouettes.) Watts, well......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):