This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Mao's Last Dancer

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#46 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,516 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:19 PM

Yes, at the very least we might have seen him in conflict about it, contemplating the potential, even likely, grim fate of his family, but I don't remember that he was, much. There was a happy ending of course, but it could easily have been otherwise.

#47 cantdance

cantdance

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:55 PM

Free screening before the DVD release at the AFI Silver Theatre and Cultural Center in Silver Spring Maryland on Tue. April 12 7pm. Q&A with Li Cunxin also. I just checked online passes still available at gogobo.com rsvp code WOMF4SL5.

I will try to get there, but I might get off work too late.

#48 cantdance

cantdance

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:03 PM

I didn't make it to the free screening, but here is Washington Times article
http://www.washingto...e=all#pagebreak

#49 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,516 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:48 AM

Thanks for the heads up, cantdance. This movie has done very well for itself - the little ballet movie that could!

#50 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,516 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:09 PM

The movie is now out on DVD.

#51 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:29 AM

Finally saw this movie on last night. I enjoyed it, especially the chance to become acquainted with the dancing of Chi Cao. But I must add kudos (to Helene's earlier post) to Bruce Greenwood's Ben Stevenson. I found his work to be exceptionally nuanced and believable. The first time I actually "bought" an actor as ballet master; light years better than Peter Gallagher in Center Stage, Malcolm McDowell in The Company and even Vincent Cassel in Black Swan. I'm a big Bruce Greenwood fan and this portrayal did not disappoint.

#52 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:20 PM

I saw the movie but did not read the book. Does the book explain the title? Does the book discuss Li's relationship with Stevenson after Li joined the ballet as a soloist? Maybe the nature of relationship is why the choreography of Murphy was used, in addition to the ties to Australia.

#53 JMcN

JMcN

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:35 PM

Yes, the book covers a much longer period than the film, mostly covering Li's early life which goes a long way to explaining the title. I suspect that Graeme Murphy's choreography was used because the film was financed and mostly filmed in Australia. I think I identified a section from Stevenson's Three Preludes though.

Do read the book, I found it an inspirational read and relevant whether you are interested in dance or not.

#54 duffster

duffster

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:00 PM

Finally saw this movie on last night. I enjoyed it, especially the chance to become acquainted with the dancing of Chi Cao. But I must add kudos (to Helene's earlier post) to Bruce Greenwood's Ben Stevenson. I found his work to be exceptionally nuanced and believable. The first time I actually "bought" an actor as ballet master; light years better than Peter Gallagher in Center Stage, Malcolm McDowell in The Company and even Vincent Cassel in Black Swan. I'm a big Bruce Greenwood fan and this portrayal did not disappoint.

#55 duffster

duffster

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:19 PM

Having worked with Ben Stevenson myself, Bruce Greenwood did a great job in capturing his character, they even copied his practice wardrobe to perfection. I remember that Ben had a great sense of humor, he was a great mimic and could imitate anyone in the company- it was hilarious yet very humbling. I felt it was his way of correcting your approach to your dancing and also to put you down a peg if he felt your head was getting too big. From what I could see it always worked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):