This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Black ballet dancers

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#16 Manhattnik

Manhattnik

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 07 July 2001 - 07:20 PM

I had no idea that Gary Chryst is black. I always thought he was hispanic. Whatever, he was a brilliant character dancer.

I remember Lydia Abarca fondly, and I'll never forget a spectacular Corsaire pdd she did with Paul Russell (who hasn't been mentioned here yet) at one of DTH's mid-Seventies seasons at the State Theater. She often reminded me of Suzanne Farrell.

#17 Patricia

Patricia

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 July 2001 - 07:47 PM

Eddie J. Shellman's career continues as a DTH Board member - and my teacher! Eddie has a school in Teaneck, NJ. His adult classes are wonderful and within the school there are a number of young, very talented and promising students.

#18 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 08 July 2001 - 05:48 AM

not to mention eddie's wife, endalyn taylor, who trained for a long time at the ruth page school in chicago and danced for dth as well.

#19 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 08 July 2001 - 07:29 AM

here is some more information about arthur bell, mel:
a link that includes information about a reunion with his family and photographs of him and his sister: [url="http://"http://www.s-t.com/daily/04-98/04-14-98/a05wn028.htm"]http://www.s-t.com/daily/04-98/04-14-98/a05wn028.htm[/url]
one which gives an account of his reunion with his brother: [url="http://"http://www.th-record.com/1998/04/04-16-98/ballet.htm"]http://www.th-record.com/1998/04/04-16-98/ballet.htm[/url]

#20 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 08 July 2001 - 07:52 AM

Thanks for the links. Saved me a bunch of searching time! Hope Mr. Bell is doing all right these days!

#21 rkoretzky

rkoretzky

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 08 July 2001 - 08:11 AM

My daughter and I are huge fans of Aesha Ash and feel that more opportunities for her are long overdue.

We had a chance to chat with her briefly after a performance at SPAC. She is utterly charming, very humble and appreciative of compliments from fans. She is also exquisite. A beautiful dancer and a beautiful lady.

#22 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 08 July 2001 - 08:48 AM

And among the earlier Joffreyites (60s) was John Jones. I nearly forgot!

#23 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 08 July 2001 - 01:04 PM

does anyone remember nora kimball? she was at abt briefly and i remember she was quite beautiful.

#24 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 08 July 2001 - 01:13 PM

Yes, I do remember her, pmeja, and I believe she was with Stuttgart before ABT. (And they paired her, with a black male dancer, in Chocolate in "The Nutcracker," which either shows extraordinary insensitivity or total obliviousness :) )

We're missing one Very Big Name in today's ballet world. I'm surprised. A man, dancing in New York......many of you mention him frequently as "why doesn't he dance more???"

#25 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 08 July 2001 - 01:17 PM

albert evans?

#26 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 08 July 2001 - 01:19 PM

pardon if he's mentioned somewhere, but i also recall keith lee.

#27 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 08 July 2001 - 02:46 PM

as well as a girl named Anne Bena-Sims. (sp.?)

#28 bijoux

bijoux

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 July 2001 - 09:16 PM

I saw that show(I think it was called,"I'll Make me a world") They also mentioned a girl from Boston Ballet.It was about three years ago and she danced a bit of 'blue Bird"pas de deux with a guy from National Ballet of Canida .Most people have mentioned dancers from New York,but Boston Ballet has had a few black ballet dancers,(though mostly men) over the years.one woman,Erika Lambe has been in the company for several years,and has held her own in solo work,but they don't use her alot.(talk about an exciting jump!!!)In the coda of the Nutcracker,whenever she has danced"Coffee"she always jumps as high as her male counterparts.It is so exciting.She is really strong from what I have seen and the audience seems to like her.She is fantastic in Balanchine Ballets.Kai Davis was the other black woman for the past few years.She is from Chicago.Unfortunately,I didn't get to see her dance much while she was in the company and she was one of the dancers let go.She wouldn't have gotten into Boston Ballet if she weren't talented,so I'm sure she'll do well wherever she goes.I don't know what will happen with miss Lambe.I don't know if she will be here next season or not.I hope she is and that she will get some more deserved opportunities.There was a guy in the company named Roger Cunningham who was beautiful to watch ,but he is in Europe now.I just wanted to add that information from Boston becausethose dancers deserve a mention too.

[edited to get rid of quote]

[ 07-10-2001: Message edited by: alexandra ]

#29 bijoux

bijoux

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 July 2001 - 09:45 PM

From what I have heard,miss Anderson is a really strong dancer and to the best of my knowledge,she is currently the only principal black female classical ballet dancer in the country who is not in Dance Theatre of Harlem.That has to say something about a dancer of color.Not to put this the wrong way,but she nust be something else(in an excellent way) to have gained a postion that so many dancers of color strive for but never achieve.To be considered an equal amongst a group of dancers who you don't resemble speaks volumes for the dancer and I must say for an artistic director ,who is not a person of color,but is willing to stick by his vision.Kudos to Ben Stevenson for making that mark.It is a shame however that Houston Ballet is the only place it is happening for the women in the dance world.I could be wrong about this,but I just haven't heard about any other black principal female dancers,or even soloists for that matter.Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.I know that Dance Theatre of Harllem has its principals and soilosts as well it should.I believe Arthur Mitchell fornded his company for that reason,to give dancers of color the opportunity to dance and become a principal dancer in a ballet company.I think it is a shame that other companies have not been more open to those possibilities...

Originally posted by BalletNut:
Hopefully Chidozie Nzerem will get promoted soon; I've always liked him.

I haven't seen her, but Houston Ballet's Lauren Anderson is supposed to be pretty good.

#30 cargill

cargill

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 09 July 2001 - 11:59 AM

I was tremendously impressed with Duncan Cooper's Prodigal Son when he danced it in New York a couple of years ago. I was lucky enough to interview him (the interview appears in the most recent Ballet Alert), and before talking to him, read through his reviews. His first Prodigal Son, in San Francisco (he began his career with the San Francisco Ballet), got some of the most incredible reviews I have ever read, so I wasn't alone in being impressed! Unfortunately, he has had some terrible injuries, but he was so moving as the Prodigal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):