This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

FREE performance of RARE Balanchine 23rd February 2007 movedSuzanne Farrell Ballet now to be in Terrace Theatre at Kennedy Center

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:08 PM

(from Washington, DC) My favorite was the Mozart Adagio, where the choreographer seemed to me to show such consideration for his composer-collaborator's marvelous contribution, and within, a little - drama? - situation? - so delicate it was scarcely there. ("Put a boy and girl onstage, already it's a story.") And that soft, poignant punctuation at the end, where she runs off, he follows - and then stops, arm extended after her.

And the Brillante was delicious, and deliciously danced.

Yes, I have seen the Variations look a little more effective in recent performances by Ms. Pickard; I thought Shannon Parsley's effect was a little hampered on this occasion by a black costume instead of scarlet (originally, raspberry), and yet newer, different choreography for the three "interludes" (variations in eleven voices), which recently, in Ms. Farrell's revival, though not in her performances of the original I saw, have involved wonderfully playful business with the dancer's "shadow" (a "shadow" which develops surprising independence, but whose appearance requires technical facilities which may not have been available this time), which seems to me to enlarge the little ballet and extend its original spirit. The new material this time seemed less certain and direct.

But for me Natalia Magnicaballi's magnificent dancing greatly benefitted the Don Q pas de deux. Where these "additional divertissements" went originally is one thing, where they will go is another; I understand that they're not likely to go back into Don Q but continue in their own world, as a separate little suite.

As for the future, I've mentioned above the Monday evening performance of, I think, the Bejart Romeo and Juliet, and I gather that the June and November repertory will be announced a few days later, on 6th March on the Kennedy Center website.

It is a treat to see "new" Balanchine. For me, Balanchine danced as these dancers dance is always new.

#17 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:20 PM

I've lately added some information to my post (#10) to make it more useful to viewers of the webcast. Finding that is not obvious from the Kennedy Center home page, so here's a link to a page where you can search for it:

http://www.kennedy-c...um/archive.html

And while we're blessing the Kennedy Center's webmaster, let's also remember the George Balanchine Trust, probably in the person of Barbara Horgan, for allowing the webcast. That's not automatic, as I understand her/their mission.

Also, I recommend Leigh Witchell's review of the performance on Dance View Times:

http://www.danceview...09/farrell.html

I agree with Leigh's remark about the synthesizer rendition of the music for the Don Q Divertissements, but I think the situation may be that no orchestra has played this part of Nabokov's music for such a long, long time that no recording of it was available, unlike the rest of the program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):