This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Looking for a Tchaikovsky Biography

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:34 AM

Hello All,

Can anyone recommend a good biography of Tchaikovsky?

Thank you

#2 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 01:34 PM

David Brown (a British musicologist) has a highly-praised 4-volume study of Tchaikovsky, which puts the emphasis on the music. It was exceptionally complete, but rather specialized for my own level of interest and understanding, and I confess to having done a lot of skimming of my library copies. :)

Brown has published (in the UK) a one-volume study, Tchaikovsky: the Man and Music, but I don't think it is published in the US at this time.

More directly related to our interest here, there's Tchaikovsky's Ballets by John Wiley.

#3 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 08:03 PM

While you're at it, also take a look at "Balanchine's Tchaikovsky: Conversations with Balanchine on his Life, Ballet and Music" by Solomon Volkov.

It's not a definitive biography, but it's still well worth reading.

(I wish whoever borrowed my copy would return it.)

#4 Grissi

Grissi

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 03:40 AM

Yesterday I was looking for a Tchaikovsky biography in amazon.co.uk (what a coincidence!). There you can find Brown's. The reviews are of great help.

#5 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:33 PM

Just bumping this thread to notify people that Roland John Wiley--the author of the amazingly comprehensive ballet books Tchaikovsky's Ballets, The Ballets of Lev Ivanov and A Century of Russian Ballet, as well as other pieces on Russian music, dance, and history, has a new Tchaikovsky biography out this June. Amazon is already taking pre orders. It's some 700 pages and promises to be a fully detailed biography, interspersed with seperate chapters giving the history and anlalysis of Tchaikovsky's major works (with special emphasis on the operas and ballets). I personally have high expectations for this.

http://www.amazon.co...M...8536&sr=1-6

#6 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:51 AM

Just bumping this thread to notify people that Roland John Wiley--the author of the amazingly comprehensive ballet books Tchaikovsky's Ballets, The Ballets of Lev Ivanov and A Century of Russian Ballet, as well as other pieces on Russian music, dance, and history, has a new Tchaikovsky biography out this June. Amazon is already taking pre orders. It's some 700 pages and promises to be a fully detailed biography, interspersed with seperate chapters giving the history and anlalysis of Tchaikovsky's major works (with special emphasis on the operas and ballets). I personally have high expectations for this.

http://www.amazon.co...M...8536&sr=1-6

Thanks! Definitely something to look out for.

#7 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:49 AM

Yes, thanks very much for the information, EricMontreal. I'll be ordering.

Just a reminder to BT members: Ballet Talk gets credit for Amazon purchase ONLY if you order by using the Amazon box at the top of the page.

To simplify things, I've added added a NEW LINK to the Wiley book that WILL allow for a credit to Ballet Talk. (It has to do with codes and things that I admit I really don't understand.) :

http://www.amazon.co...M...0274&sr=1-1

The same holds true with any book, dvd, etc, mentioned on Ballet Talk. If you want to order it and would like Ballet Talk to get a small percentage of the proceeds the simplest way is CLICK THE BOX AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE.

:FIREdevil:

#8 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:15 PM

I've changed my pre-order accordingly ;) Thanks for the reminder--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):