• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:29 AM

Danilova used to tell her students to "throw away their technique" when they got onstage. I wonder if Tan ever had a teacher to tell her that.

But -- but -- but --

you never know what the editor took out of the article. She may not be someone who wants to put into words her feelings about the character, situation, music, and if she said something about it, it may not have been the moment when her thoughts about those things were clear. Interviews have their own chemistry. I haven't seen it; who was interviewing her?

#17 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:06 AM

Interviewers for the whole group were Elena Kunikova and Wendy Perron, but they don't say who talked with whom.

The intro to this section says: "Dance Magazine went to some of the ballerinas who are known for their portrayals of Odette/Odile. We gathered their experiences and advice for young dancers just starting to learn the part -- and for those who dream of performing it someday."

Some of the respondents sseem to focus on the technique (eg. Tan, Anderson). Others on the emotional involvement in the role (eg. Dvorovenko, Lopatkina, Hart, Whelan) . And others on both (eg. Kain, Zakharova, Gregory).

(I realize that others might categorize these responses a bit differently.)

Reminds me of a long thread on technique/v./personality in the 2002 archives:
http://ballettalk.in...?showtopic=8616

#18 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,226 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 02:13 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing LeBlanc. I'm inclined to agree with Talespinner about Kristin Long, I'm sorry to say.

ballet nut
writes:

Keep in mind, too, that the supporting cast can also add to a performance.

True, but Swan Lake really does stand or fall on the toe shoes of one ballerina, doesn't it? Reminds me of what Maria Tallchief says in "Six Balanchine Ballerinas" about the role of the ballerina (not specific to Swan Lake) -- something to the effect that people don't always realize the great responsibility of the first dancer -- "if I was no good, the ballet was no good."

Paul Parish writes:

She was GREAT in Helgi Tomason's "Nanna's Lied" (not a great ballet) -- and had a completely new fluid way of moving onto and off pointe I've never seen her use before or since --

Very true, Tan was unexpectedly good in that, although it's no masterpiece, to be sure.

#19 Ilya

Ilya

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:39 PM

Thank you all for your very interesting and informative responses!!

#20 WindFlyer

WindFlyer

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 06:48 PM

Danilova used to tell her students to "throw away their technique" when they got onstage. I wonder if Tan ever had a teacher to tell her that...

If not it may be a good thing... I've not been impressed by her technically (or dramatically, for that matter).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):