69 replies to this topic

#61 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,255 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:51 PM

There are rehearsals up to the minute the curtain goes up, if someone is learning a new role to substitute. Just about every recent dance memoirnhas memoir has a description of it.

That's in a critical situation. In an everyday situation, dancers are grabbed in the hall during lunch "for just a minute" and who wants to be seen as one who puts himself before the team?

#62 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,580 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:24 PM

I'm not speaking specifically about NYCB, but in general, injuries tend to accumulate toward the end of a season -- directors may have had certain people in mind for particular parts (indeed, they may have been preparing for a role for quite some time) but if that individual is out of commission directors need to make other choices.  Sometimes they have understudies available, but other times they don't. 

One example: last year, during a run of Romeo and Juliette at Pacific Northwest Ballet, Benjamin Griffiths was cast as Benvolio, and did not have an understudy.  He's a very reliable performer, but the morning of a performance he injured himself in class, with only a couple of hours to teach the part to a cover.  There's a great deal of tricky ensemble dancing and partnering for the character in this version (Maillot) of the work.  Luckily, a member of the Monte Carlo company who knew the part was scheduled to come to Seattle that day, but he wouldn't arrive in time for curtain -- they wound up teaching the opening section to a young dancer at PNB, and the guest got there in time to make the second entrance.  He did a great job, dancing with a group of people he didn't know, but his version of the choreography had a few changes (mostly stage business), so that everyone on stage with him was particularly attentive that day.  There was, as you might imagine, a group sigh of relief when the curtain came down.

#63 Razor

Razor

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:23 PM

Wow....

Great story & insight. Were you witness to that emergency cast change? It must've been touch-and-go.

#64 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,580 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

I was in the house for that one, as well as a few other last-minute casting changes and technical glitches, but almost everyone who's followed along with any company has seen some of it - it's the nature of live theater. 

#65 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,255 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:35 PM

I wasn't there, but I remember reading about a performance at PNB of A Midsummer Night's Dream where the first Hippolyta got hurt and switched costumes with a second Hippolyta who finished the Hounds scene.

#66 Razor

Razor

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:20 PM

Thanks.

I wonder about the operational/logistics expenses for this week trip. Hotel, travel fare, insurance, etc. that goes into a week long series .... Salaries are the same regardless of performing at this prestigious venue, correct?

#67 Razor

Razor

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:21 PM

Thanks.

I wonder about the operational/logistics expenses for this week trip. Hotel, travel fare, insurance, etc. that goes into a week long series .... Salaries are the same regardless of performing at this prestigious venue, correct?

#68 Razor

Razor

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:21 PM

Whoops, sorry - double post

#69 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,580 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:32 PM

I wasn't there, but I remember reading about a performance at PNB of A Midsummer Night's Dream where the first Hippolyta got hurt and switched costumes with a second Hippolyta who finished the Hounds scene.

Oh, I saw that one -- Ariana Lallone got injured during Hippolyta's big scene with the dogs -- she got herself off stage and they had to strip her tutu off fast and get it on Brittany Reid, but there was no time to do the headpiece (it's held on with a million hairpins) so when Reid, who is already shorter than Lallone, came out without the helmet I first thought that Lallone had been shrunk.  That was the season that Reid said she was retiring, and she was scheduled to do her last performance as Hippolyta later in that run -- I wasn't sure I'd be able to get there to see her last show, so I was kind of glad to see her as an emergency replacement. 

#70 Razor

Razor

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:03 PM

Wow...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):