This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

ABT's Corsaire, Friday

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 01:17 AM

I agree with Mary. The season after Corsaire, McKenzie "tightened" the production, unfortunately squeezing out much of what wasn't virtuoso dancing. I think at the time the move was applauded because not many directors/choreographers in NY go back and edit their work, but I do miss some of Gulnare's dances that were taken out.

In addition, I think it really depends who plays the roles. Kent has always danced Medora with a wink and a giggle whereas Jaffe and Nina A gave the role more depth. And I liked Stiefel as Ali rather than Conrad, a character he plays like Errol Flynn.

#17 Manhattnik

Manhattnik

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 05:09 AM

When I see McKenzie's "reworked" production, I always feel badly for poor Gulnare. Not only is her dance with the casks of jewels cut, but now she gets to drown at the end when the pirate ship goes down, rather than continue her happy existence as the queen of the harem. I believe in the "original" ABT production she stayed behind with the Pasha, doubtless as she knew a good thing when she had it.

#18 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 10:22 AM

Ouch. Errol Flynn had stage presence!!!

Mary, I didn't use the Lincoln Bedroom example for the money, but to symbolize crossing an invisible line. I don't begrudge any ballet company making money. It's the Corsaire effect that worries me. (I also don't mean to imply that everyone in the audience, at every ballet, should be sitting there thinking, "What will this mean for the future?" smile.gif

The ending is one of the most unresolved I've ever seen in a 19th century restaging. It makes no sense. As for the post-premiere tightening, I wonder if Holmes was consulted. She does have respect for Petipa and the Russian tradition.

#19 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,713 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 02:32 PM

Errol Flynn could certainly teach Stiefel something about bringing conviction to this kind of role. Also, his elevation wasn't bad, either. smile.gif

Too bad Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. died a couple of years ago. I'd suggest bringing him in to coach.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):