American Ballet CompettionLooking for opinions, etc.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#16 Watermill

Watermill

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 06:18 PM

While I agree with Ms. Leigh, especially on the age factor, I must admit that I have struggled with this issue.

If ballet is a performing art, where's the performance for younger ballet students?

The infinite number of Nutcrackers is one quick and easy answer. End of year school performances is another. But for many students, especially those leaping about as mice or strutting about as soldiers for a few un-balletic seconds in the local Nut, and then performing little more than class-based center work as part of a 30 dancer herd at the school performance, it is not enough. I sympathize with those young dancers who seek out these competions as an outlet for the pent up desire to shine on stage. However, I do share Major Mel's opinion that judging and winning should not be part of this process. A non-competitive "Festival" would be far more to my liking (for the younger dancers).

#17 Treefrog

Treefrog

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 07:36 PM

Watermill, what you suggest sounds very much like the Regional Dance America festivals. There's a thread going right now in the Parents' forum on Ballet Talk for Dancers. Classes by guest and master teachers, and evening performances by the participants.

#18 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 07:40 PM

One of the factors to consider with very young students, though, is that they need to spend class time on mastering technique. It's one thing in a theater that has the school attached to it; there's time to fit in rehearsals and not stint on class time. But when a school tries to put on performances, or use young children in company performances, often "class" becomes rehearsal, or teaching to prepare for that particular ballet, and it short changes them. It's as if fourth graders spent all their English school time -- reading, composition, grammar -- on the school play.

#19 Watermill

Watermill

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 08:34 PM

Point very well taken, Alexandra...not to mention the expense of performance: costumes, stage rental etc,etc... I don't know of many parents willing to spend the extra it would take...on top of an already pricey endeavor.
Thanks, Treefrog: good to know its out there somewhere.

#20 thedriver

thedriver

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 08:59 PM

Thank You and I'll go to the right forum next time.

#21 Guest_Toe-in_*

Guest_Toe-in_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 26 May 2004 - 05:11 PM

I am going to the american ballet competition in June, mainly because I want to get my connections set up with different companies so that when I graduate from high school in two years I'll allready be familiar with those different companies. I studied from Kee Juan Han <(spelling)
at Ballet Arizona about five years ago. I was there for one year, and also taking classes from Natia. But I can't wait till I fly down to florida and just have a fun time!

#22 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 05:24 PM

Hi, Toe-in -- I've just sent you an email. This forum isn't really intended for competitors, but for fans and others watching competitions. If you're a dance student, you'll want to go to our other forum, Ballet Talk for Dancers, here:

http://balletalert.c...forum/index.php

I'm going to close this thread, as it's off topic for this forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):