This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Balanchine TV documentary 1/14

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Dave

Dave

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 01:54 PM

I just received the following information in an e-mail from PNB lecturer Doug Fullington:

Dear friends,

I want to bring to your attention an important documentary program about George Balanchine that will air on public television. This 2-hour documentary was made shortly after Balanchine's death in 1983 and features many excerpts from his ballets and other footage relating to his life and career. It is broadcast again nationally in observance of Balanchine's centenary, with thanks in part to Barbara Horgan, Balanchine's long-time personal assistant and now Trustee of The George Balanchine Trust.

The following information is from The George Balanchine Foundation website at www.balanchine.org. You can view local [Seattle] airing details at http://www.kcts.org/...sp?N1=AMMS&ch=9.

George Balanchine Television Documentary – American Masters Balanchine
American Masters is produced for PBS by Thirteen/WNET New York - Airing January 14, 2004
(The documentary was aired originally in 1984 on PBS, and on BBC (Europe) in 1985).

A two-part documentary, made soon after Balanchine’s death, focusing on his life and work. Included is extensive footage of Balanchine and generous excerpts from many of his ballets.

Further information:
Lance Spirto – 212-560-2986
SpiroL@thirteen.org

#2 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 01:59 PM

A DVD will be released in February.

#3 nlkflint

nlkflint

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 03:41 PM

Airing in South Florida 1/14 at 9:30 pm EST on two different PBS channels so may be a national feed!! Also airing on both at some other off times (middle of day or middle of night)

#4 corrival

corrival

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 07:18 AM

Also airing in Maryland, Washington DC metro channel 22 (MPT) 1/14 at 9:30 Parts 1 & 2

#5 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 09:00 AM

There will be a preview of this by Dale on DanceViewTimes this week (out Monday) with a complete listing of the ballet excerpts included in these programs. (Thank you, Dale!)

#6 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 09:16 PM

If I remember correctly from 1984 when this program was first seen, the narration
is spoken, magnificently yet unobtrusively, by the actor Frank Langella. The opening lines are particularly great.

#7 Cristina

Cristina

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 06:08 AM

Houston area 8:30 CST on Channel 8.

Cristina

#8 Juliet

Juliet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 08:47 AM

Little note....

If you click on the link above for amazon.com, through the BA site, the site gets a tiny portion of sales.

This DVD is available for pre-order through Amazon, $25.46. Nice Valentine's Day present and healthier than candy!!! Of course, there is no rule that one cannot include candy as well..... :innocent:

your friendly BA Personal Shopper,

Juliet

#9 Arabesque

Arabesque

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 04:53 PM

This doesn't appear to be broadcasting in the Los Angeles area. I checked all three public stations' schedules. :angry:

#10 socalgal

socalgal

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 06:18 PM

:angry: You are so right....it is not airing in the Los Angeles area! It is an outrage!
I think it is even airing in San Diego........whats the deal???? I heard that that KCET had no plans of airing it at all in L.A. :)

#11 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 07:04 PM

Maybe it will come to L.A. another day. Here's hoping!

And here's a link to Dale Brauner's article on DanceView Times with a listing of all the flim clips: So you can print this out and read along while you watch.

http://www.danceview...icanMasters.htm

#12 Cristina

Cristina

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 06:34 AM

I posted on another forum how much I appreciate the heads up on this. It was wonderful.

#13 Guest_Daniella64_*

Guest_Daniella64_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 23 January 2004 - 08:32 AM

I loved the documentary so much I called PBS and bought a copy, it should be in the mail any day now. I don't have the number anymore but you can check the website - www.pbs.org i believe. :thumbsup:

Danielle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):