• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 mbjerk

mbjerk

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 03:18 AM

Victoria - we do agree! I did not use a double negative as I agreed with Alexandra that modern should not be what teaches ballet dancers to move.

I did not mean to leave it for modern to teach classical dancers to move.

I do not think that modern more than ballet teaches ballet dancers to move unless the dancer is inclined in that direction. Modern does help ballet dancers find more of their bodies and can show them more about expression.

BUT, I am a bunhead through and through and find well-taught, musical ballet classes contain all that is needed.

#17 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 05:01 AM

Oops, sorry mbj! I misread it. :wub: :( :mondieu:

#18 mbjerk

mbjerk

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 05:07 AM

As you said Victoria, it is unusual for us to disagree! No apologies needed - I phrased it obscurely.

#19 PK

PK

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 09:09 AM

I would not worry about what the future will bring with Septime.If you look at the facts of his record and what he brings to whatever he does the results are amazing.Yes WBS has produced great dancers but this doesn't mean new ideas have to be a bad thing.And why does he need to decide what kind of Company he has? Why must it fit into a mold?Look at ticket sales and audience response now!Septime is not quite like anyone else so neither are his ideas-it's a good thing!

#20 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 09:59 AM

And why does he need to decide what kind of Company he has?

That's part of the job description of an artistic director. Like any enterprise, there's an overall direction, a mission statement, a vision of what the company is supposed to be and what direction it's going. That's why Kaufman raised the question.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):