This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

name that ballet!

This is really bugging me! I just heard Bizet's Symphony in C on the radio and the music is so familiar, I'm positive I've heard it from a ballet before- but I can't remember which! I can almost see the dancers in my head... Can anyone help me out? Thanks so much;)

Yes, I thought of that- except I have never seen Balanchine's Symphony in C! Are there any other ballets to the same music? If not, then maybe I saw an excerpt on a video or had an excersize in class to the same music and that's where I know it from...

While Balanchine called his work "Symphony in C" when he staged it for his own company in 1950 -- a title used ever since by those who stage it under the aegis of the Balanchine Trust -- it was titled "Le Palais de Cristal" at its premier at the Paris Opera Ballet in 1947.

A few years ago, POB staged it here in New York, using the original title (as they always have) and claiming they had the authentic version. While the difference in costumes is well documented (different colors for each movement, as opposed to the uniform white used in New York), the differences in choreography looked more like lapses in memory than reconsiderations by the master himself.

Myself, I call the ballet "Bottled Sunshine," since it inevitably leaves audiences in an exuberantly cheerful mood.

It's also worth noting that the score, which has long since entered the standard orchestral repertory, was largely unknown until Balanchine found the manuscript, which Bizet had submitted (at age 18) as his entry in the Prix de Rome.

Hope this information is helpful!

I have an opportunity to spend some time in Paris in October. The deciding factor for me may well be the POB's schedule, including Palais de Cristal. Although I have seen Symphony in C countless times, I have never seen the full POB company (just a few guest artists) and have therefore never seen PdC. I've also never been to the Opera Garnier, although I have been to the Opera Bastille.

Should I go for it?

Originally posted by Morris Neighbor

A few years ago, POB staged it here in New York. . .  the differences in choreography looked more like lapses in memory than reconsiderations by the master himself.

That is possible, of course, but I had a different response. Many balletos who never had the opportunity to see LeClerc dance formed an image of her based largely on the adagio of Symphony in C. I always wondered why this should be so, since she was not in the Palais version. But much of Palais and Bizet differ somewhat in detail and significantly in overall feeling. So there is no doubt in my mind that when Balanchine staged it as Symphony in C for his own dancers, he made adaptations to show their individual qualities.
Myself, I call the ballet "Bottled Sunshine," since it inevitably leaves audiences in an exuberantly cheerful mood.
"Bottled Sunshine" is indeed the desired result. It is not, however, "inevitable," alas.

rkoretzky, you have to go to the Palais Garnier.

I've only been once (and I saw the San Francisco Ballet, as POB was in the USA:) ) but that was the highlight of my last trip to Paris - even more than the cutprice Kookai suit I bought then ;)

Rkoretzky, I would say yes too, because it is the first time they give Le Palais de Cristal since 1993, and so some say it is only given once every 10 years, so you might not get another opportunity to see it before a long time. I'll be going as well! And you have to see Garnier. It is a magnificent building, and it feels very warm, with its red and gold colours, at least much more than Bastille with its blues and greys and blacks (although I love Bastille too, but the atmosphere isn't the same). Architecturally, it's nice too, and if you get the time just before the performance (it opens 45 minutes before), or maybe during breaks (I don't know if there are any), try to visit the Grand Foyer, the basement and the rest of the building, because it's really worth seeing (beautiful statues, paintings...)

rkoretzky, go for it! :P

Also, if you can get tickets for the premiere on Oct 2, the program will also include the Défilé of the corps de ballet, which is quite impressive (and was seldom performed in the last seasons). And that program (also including "The Four temperaments" and "The Prodigal Son" provides an opportunity to see much of the company...

I saw 'Symphony in C' for the first time when it was performed by the POB during their 1947 or '48 tour of NY. As 'Le Palais de Crystal' it was the best new work they brought to NY--a revelation amidst all that Lifar! It had beautiful 'chandeliery' sets and lovely muted colors for each act. I wish I could remember who did the 2nd movement---(I think Toumanova was the original), but I was most impressed with Alexandre Kalioujny and Michel Renault at the time. The ballet was all elegance and lightness---very frothy. A short time later I saw the first performance given by NYCB---a-h-h- what a difference. Suffice it to say that the Company has greatly improved!!! I was not a fan of LeClercq's in this particular role, she did not have the classical line it demanded. My favor ite for a long time was Allegra Kent---and then, finally, the one who it was waiting for--Ananiashvilli.