This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Happenings at the SF Ballet

Noticing just now that there is indeed already an article about this -- I can't find the delete button, but admin, feel free to delete this since it's dupe information!

I just caught this article in the SF Chronicle, published 8/23 by Rachel Howard, which took me by surprise:

Two S.F. Ballet dancers file lawsuits alleging the company had ‘reckless disregard’ for their health

https://www.sfchronicle.com/entertainment/article/sf-ballet-lawsuit-injury-19715031.php

In the event there's a paywall, here's the opening paragraph:  

The San Francisco Ballet Association is defending two lawsuits from ballerinas who allege the company and its medical advisers steered them to perform despite pain, resulting in permanent injury and disability.

San Francisco Ballet soloist Ellen Hummel filed suit in San Francisco Superior Court on Aug. 16, naming the Ballet Association, Dr. Richard Gibbs and the San Francisco Free Clinic as defendants and alleging medical negligence. 

Mathilde Froustey is the second ballerina referenced, from a 2023 filing. The article continues as one would expect it to (and corrects itself on 8/26 to state that Hummel is still a dancer with the company) but it also had this inadvertent news in the final line that, to me, was a shock and disappointment. Did anyone else see this coming? Maybe it's been posted on this site elsewhere. 

The suits come at a time of intense change at the Ballet. Rojo’s leadership in San Francisco has yielded swift success with her first curated season this past year. After the hit premiere of the AI-themed ballet “Mere Mortals” in January, the company announced a $60 million anonymous donation, the largest gift the company has received in its 91-year history.

But her tenure has also seen surprising dancer departures. In July, Rojo’s husband, principal dancer Isaac Hernandez, left the company, joining American Ballet Theatre in New York.    

Edited by Terez

I saw it, as well, in SFB Miscellaneous, but both remained hidden to me until after I pressed "published."  (LOL, that's always how it works.) It's easier to find this way on a reader's quick stop-by, at the least. 

For details on the lawsuits and the plaintiffs' allegations, which are a matter of public record, you can go to the San Francisco County Superior Court website and put in the case numbers for these two civil actions.

Ellen Hummel, Hector Pernia vs. San Francisco Ballet Association, San Francisco Free Clinic, Richard Gibbs, M.D., San Francisco County Superior Court Case. No. CGC-24-617298, was filed on August 16, 2024.   The complaint is a matter of public record and available on the court website.   The causes of action are negligence and medical negligence  for Ms. Hummel; loss of consortium for Mr. Pernia. 

Mathilde Froustey vs. San Francisco Ballet Association, San Francisco Ballet Regents of the University California San Francisco Free Clinic, Richard Gibbs, M.D., Kristin Wingfield, M.D., Case No. CGC-23-607706, was filed on July 17, 2023.  Causes of action are negligence, medical negligence, informed consent, and medical battery.  All documents filed with the court, including the complaint, are accessible online with the SF County Superior Court.