This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB at SPAC July 9-13, 2024

Hello, Everyone! Happy New Year to you all. The Albany Times Union reports: 

https://www.timesunion.com/theater/article/75-new-york-city-ballet-returning-spac-varied-18614906.php

Unfortunately, they are wasting opening night with that On and Off Stage event again instead of presenting an evening of ballet. Such a shame since they are there only for one week. In my opinion, giving opening night up to this format is quite the rip-off. The program is Jewels, excerpts from Swan Lake, Stars and Stripes, and Steadfast Tin Soldier. It also mentions a celebration of Coppelia for its 50th anniversary, but doesn’t clarify that it is excerpts, not the full length ballet. And two evenings of contemporary choreography. 

I was hopeful that Coppelia was to be performed in full because the last time it was at SPAC was in 2019, I think(?). It was canceled due to the extreme heat. Well, excerpts should be delightful, too. 

For additional information, please see spac.org. 

Edited by KarenAG

SPAC has just announced the upcoming NYCB summer season. I am somewhat underwhelmed by the programming--I would have like to have the new Ratmansky on the contemporary program, rather than another round of Red Angels or The Times are Racing,  or to see the full Coppelia, not just excerpts. I also still don't like that they are still taking what could be a full performance slot for NYCB On and Off Stage. Tickets are on sale for members February 9 and for the public on February 22. Programming details below:

NYCB On and Off Stage

TUESDAY, JULY 9 | 7:30PM

NYCB principal dancers host a unique “behind the curtain” experience featuring excerpts from the week’s ballets. A compelling evening for newcomers and aficionados alike! After the performance, stay for the dance party in the Hall of Springs!

Jewels

WEDNESDAY, JULY 10 | 7:30PM

THURSDAY, JULY 11 | 2:00PM

Experience George Balanchine’s three-part masterpiece Jewels featuring Fauré’s elegant Emeralds, Stravinsky’s jazz-inflected Rubies, and Tschaikovsky’s symphonic Diamonds.

Contemporary Choreography

THURSDAY, JULY 11 | 7:30PM

SATURDAY, JULY 13 | 7:30PM

A celebration of contemporary choreographers featuring a new work by Amy Hall Garner; Gustave le Gray No. 1, a SPAC debut choreographed by Pam Tanowitz and set to the music of Caroline Shaw; Ulysses Dove’s dynamically charged Red Angels, set to a riveting score for electric violin, and Justin Peck’s The Times are Racing.

Swan Lake & Stars and Stripes

FRIDAY, JULY 12 | 7:30PM

SATURDAY, JULY 13 | 2PM 

Three beloved Balanchine works, Swan Lake, Stars and Stripes, and The Steadfast Tin Soldier return, as well as additional scenes from Coppélia celebrating its 50th anniversary.

I hope this means the full Coppélia will be performed in fall for the 50th anniversary? So strange it hasn't been performed since 2018. They had already altered the caricaturish dolls in Act II so that can't be the reason. 

1 hour ago, matilda said:

I hope this means the full Coppélia will be performed in fall for the 50th anniversary? So strange it hasn't been performed since 2018. They had already altered the caricaturish dolls in Act II so that can't be the reason. 

Me too.  Emma V.E. and Mejia as the leads, please. 

I would love to see Jewels again this summer.   

The SPAC engagement conflicts with ABT, but since ABT is doing R&J for the third consecutive year, I'm inclined to potentially make my first trip to SPAC.   The major drawback is I don't do well in  sweltering heat.  

It's usually not sweltering, but it does happen occasionally--the range is from sweltering to chilly. And even when it's warm, the temperature often drops considerably after the sun goes down.

The cancelled Coppelia matinee was, I think, the only time that's happened in my ~20 years of coming to SPAC. The temperatures were predicted to be over 100 ° that day, which is very unusual here.