This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

In memory of Patrick Mullins, our 'papeetepatrick' (1951-2023)

Hello, 

I used to be a poster on this board but my account has been inactive for a few years. I hate to come back bringing such sad news, but I thought some of us would like to know that Patrick Mullins, aka our longtime fellow poster 'papeetepatrick', died months ago, on either July 31 or Aug. 11. He was a difficult but sui generis man with exhuberant taste who led a charmed, full life, and we had many great long conversations in which I learned a lot about music, art and other things. I thought this obituary did him justice: https://dothaneagle.com/news/local/enterprise-native-found-appreciative-audiences-as-classical-pianist/article_d284a6ea-5720-11ee-9faa-abdc3493bcda.html

Born in Enterprise June 15, 1951, Mullins’ prowess at the keyboard took him to New York City to study at The Juilliard School, where he earned bachelor’s and master’s degrees. He studied with the acclaimed music teacher and conductor, Madame Nadia Boulanger, in Paris, France, and performed in many cities in Alabama and across the United States. His talent extended beyond performing to composition of musical scores and writing books, and he also performed on Broadway for several years, notably as a pianist in the orchestra for the long-running musical “No, No, Nanette.”

Following his junior year at Juilliard (1973), Patrick was invited to participate in the quadrennial Van Cliburn Piano Competition in Fort Worth, Texas. 

Patrick Mullins appeared in recitals in the United States and Paris. In 1965 he performed with the University of Alabama Orchestra and has also appeared with the Birmingham Symphony Orchestra.

There is also a rather gruesome story in the New York Post which I won't post, because it has photos of the incident and all, and I'd rather remember him in a better light, vigorous and full of life.

Edited by kenneth_g

This is very sad. Patrick was a lively participant on this forum in the early days of long arts discussions that went on for pages of posts and counterposts – along with Carly, Simon G, Bart, etc – all of us keeping Helene very much on the "alert." In general life here and everywhere is much more subdued, people are more cautious and we tend to discuss fine points of performances rather than indulge in loud, overarching theories of the art as before. Bits of Patrick's posts from 2008 & 2010:

"When I first started seeing NYCB regularly in the late 70s, the dancers did seem very adult -- but then they were all older than me, or at least my age. Now that they're all young enough to be my children and then some, they look like kids. It's that simple ... But NYCB is not 'like kids' when dancers like Sara Mearns are at work. And I say that even about the her dancing in roles I don't think she fully succeeds at. She is always 'adult', in the sense of either being fully serious or trying to be, as in 'swan lake'. She is just one example of a dancer who is always serious about what she is doing, so that even seeing her do something in which she is not fully convincing is still along the lines of what I used to see Farrell or McBride or Villella doing."

"My problem with Sondheim is that, although he's written more successful shows than Bernstein, Jule Styne and Harold Arlen, I don't think he is nearly the great composer that they are, with some exceptions of individual songs here and there. The music often whines and gets smarmy and neurotic, and is not muscular that way the above three are. I think his greater gift is usually that of the lyricist for composers with a greater musical gift ... I was interested that Sondheim 'adored Lee Remick' and was devastated by her death. I also recall finding it totally shocking and unexpected, and I was pretty crazy about her too."

"That's probably the main thing we don't agree with, and it might have to do with knowing Colette's work better than I do. I like all that luxuriant decadence, all the sense of a confection and lots of fripperies (aided and abetted by Ms. Kathy Bates). When I think of it, I believe I've taken out 'Cheri' and 'Gigi' several times, and never read past the first couple of pages. I'm not sure why, because I like the whole idea of COLETTE. It's not like anybody else has ever BEEN Colette! Okay, I think I ought to read it, that's what this discussion has convinced me of."

"I am simply dumbstruck that I missed this due to various activities last week. Stockhausen was one of the great composers of the 20th century, and while not as 'lovable' perhaps as the recent great performer deaths in classical music--Rostropovich, Sills, Pavarotti--was more important in the musical-adventurer domain. Boulez, who became extremely jealous of him during his ascent into great fame, nevertheless always spoke of him as having been greatly influential on him (although Boulez is a few years older). I've liked some of the piano music, the 'Klavierstucke--I-IV,' and orchestral music a great deal, and remember a rehearsal of 'Jubilee' at the New York Philharmonic in about 1981, which was marvelous."

Edited by Quiggin