This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Digital tickets for individual reps

10 minutes ago, SandyMcKean said:

The SF box office told me that there are no more digital tickets for anyone under any circumstances (including any sort of subscriber).....so your scheme would not have worked anyway 😟.

What I meant was that had I known they had made them available in the past, I would have subscribed then to see the videos.  Just like I did for several arts organizations.  I stopped subscribing when they stopped sending links to videos if your ticket wasn't scanned, although for one, I had hoped to be able to travel to see one performance in person.

Helene,

We may be talking apples and oranges, but here's what I think I know. As I say, no more digital tickets (including digital subscriptions) of any kind at SF Ballet these days. Yes, they did offer the ability to purchase digital streams of the current season in the past, but those "tickets/subscriptions" were only available to existing full live-seat subscription holders. I know this because my brother lives in the SF area and has had a full live-seat subscription for years. In recent years when he told me he could stream the performances, I decided to subscribe to the digital season too. That's when I found out you had to be a live-seat subscriber to get the digital streams.

P.S. Perhaps that's what you mean....in the sense that you would buy the cheapest live-seat subscription you could simply in order to qualify for the digital streams.

If memory serves, San Francisco Ballet, Boston Ballet, Sarasota Ballet and the Dutch National Ballet were some of the companies which tried, but later abandoned, digital seasons. I'm still kicking myself over not being aware of everything that was on offer. It's one of the reasons I'm really torn about PNB's all-or-nothing approach. When it comes to streams, it's use it or lose it.

P.S. I find it difficult understand why San Francisco Ballet would restrict access to its digital season, after going through the trouble and expense of recording and streaming the ballets. Was it a rights issue?

Edited by volcanohunter
35 minutes ago, SandyMcKean said:

P.S. Perhaps that's what you mean....in the sense that you would buy the cheapest live-seat subscription you could simply in order to qualify for the digital streams.

That's exactly what I mean: if I had know this was available at the time, I would have subscribed to a full in-person SFB subscription and only watched the videos.  I did that for several other arts organizations when they offered this kind of conditional streaming.  All of the ones I subscribed to only sent you a link to the taped performance if your in-person ticket wasn't scanned.  And after they stopped offering the option, I stopped subscribing.

Edited to add:  One company allowed you to tell them ahead of time that you weren't showing up, so that they could resell the ticket if they could.  Apart from that company, I wouldn't have subscribed if there weren't lots of tickets available and the likelihood of depriving someone of a seat was minuscule.

According to this page, Seattle Opera is still doing it:

https://www.seattleopera.org/performances-events/streaming-faq/

I'm glad they are, and I'm glad San Francisco Opera is selling stand-alone live streams to the third performance of rep, with 48 hours on demand starting 10am PT the day after.  The first three performances of each rep offers Operavision in the Balcony, and I can't help but think they figured out a way to stream and monetize what they're doing already.

Operavision is my idea of heaven, since I'd choose Balcony anyway.

@SandyMcKean had already established this, but today PNB sent out an email stating:

"PETITE MORT starts streaming Thursday October 5, and subscribing to the full Digital Season is the only way to enjoy this (and other) performances. Single-ticket access to digital performances is not available for all 2023/24 season programming. Subscribe to the digital season today and don’t miss a moment!"

https://pnb.prospect2.com/index.php?action=social&chash=44c4c17332cace2124a1a836d9fc4b6f.608&nosocial=1

On 9/21/2023 at 11:44 AM, California said:

I was mainly interested in the two Kylians on the first program, not so much the rest of the season.

The Paris Opera Ballet will livestream its all-Kylián program (Stepping Stones, Gods and Dogs, Petite Mort, Sechs Tänze) on Paris Opera Play on Friday, December 15. Available on demand for 7 days for €14.90 or as part of a POP subscription. 

https://play.operadeparis.fr/en/p/jiri-kylian-evening 

Edited by volcanohunter