This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Seating at Kennedy Center Opera House

Hi all - I am in need of some advice regarding the seating options at the KC Opera House. I'm going to DC to see NYCB on June 6th for the Founding Choreographers program (Square Dance, Concerto Barocco, Afternoon of a Faun, and Donizetti Variations). I'm debating between Orchestra Center Row AA or Tier 2 Center Row B. How is the rake in the orchestra section? I am 5'1 so I'm a little worried about obstructions. Nearly the entire row in front of AA is empty right now but not sure about on the day of. Do you find Tier 2 to be too far/high up? Appreciate any input! 

The front orchestra is below stage level, so you would definitely want to sit in row R or higher, and in that sense AA should be fine. The rake is pretty standard for theaters of that period, and the seats are staggered, so there would be a gap between the two heads in front of you. 

I would choose the second tier for this program.  You see the whole stage and can really appreciate the full cast and the formations they make.  In the orchestra you see the front plane view of the stage and it becomes easy to lose the feel of the whole stage. If you prefer being closer go with the orchestra seat.

For those who don't know, the Kennedy Center now charges a 10 percent markup on tickets bought at the box office. They increased the fee for online and phone sales from 14 to 15 percent. [off topic]IMHO, there needs to be legislation for more transparency in ticket pricing. "Convenience charges", "facility fees", etc. seem to in general be increasing, and I find it really annoying to end up paying significantly more than the advertised price for a ticket.[/off topic]

I've found that some ballets I like looking down on while others I feel detached if I'm up high in the 2nd tier.

Edited by YouOverThere

:offtopic: That's very frustrating. Things have probably changed, but years ago I was ordering tickets online to the Teatro di San Carlo in Naples. I was given a choice of delivery method: €80 to have them sent to me by overseas courier, or €0 for print at home.

On the other hand, La Scala's markup was always enormous.