This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Met seating question

I seem to have bought a “partial view” seat for Like Water For Chocolate at the Met. I did this more or less by mistake (don’t ask) but I am thinking it may not be ALL bad as it would take me closer to the stage than I can usually risk in an orchestra seat. And in my distant youth I did sometimes enjoy oddball seats. Anyway, I would be in the front row of Parterre Box 7. Has anyone sat in that box (or 8 across the horseshoe)? Any impressions to share? I am prepared to buy another ticket if it sounds like am going to lose too much to enjoy the dancers. I am a little less concerned about scenic effects because I will be seeing the ballet from a much better seat at a different performance. I have this seat for a dancer I am particularly eager to see. How much of the stage gets sliced off? (I am familiar with much of ABT’s full length rep, so reference to it would be meaningful to me.) Thank you.

Edited by Drew
2 hours ago, FPF said:

I don't have personal experience with this seat, but you might get an idea from this website--they don't have that specific box, but they do have some nearby.

https://aviewfrommyseat.com/venue/Metropolitan+Opera+House+-+Lincoln+Center/seating-chart/theater/

Thank you!  I have given it a try —  unfortunately the views they show from seats closest to where I would be all show the stage with a scenic  curtain down so it is harder to judge.

Hi Drew! I sit in those seats often, in fact I will be in box 8 for one LWFC.  You don't miss much as long as you are in the front row (seats 1,2 or3). Just the extreme slice of the near side. For instance, I wouldn't sit in box 8 for R&J cause it cuts off some of the balcony, and I wouldn't sit in box 7 for Giselle cause it cuts off some of her hut so you miss some of her entrance. For Swan Lake you miss the Queen & VR on the thrones in the ballroom scene if you are in box 7. 

14 hours ago, Drew said:

I seem to have bought a “partial view” seat for Like Water For Chocolate at the Met. I did this more or less by mistake (don’t ask) but I am thinking it may not be ALL bad as it would take me closer to the stage than I can usually risk in an orchestra seat. And in my distant youth I did sometimes enjoy oddball seats. Anyway, I would be in the front row of Parterre Box 7. Has anyone sat in that box (or 8 across the horseshoe)? Any impressions to share? 

Side Parterre was my go-to section when I didn't want to spring for Center Orchestra. The Met never used to call these seats partial view, but they are definitely partial view. However, the loss of a sliver of the stage was made up for, for me, by being closer to the stage, which I always like. I used to sit in Box 5, splitting the difference between being close up and the partial view. As long as you're in the first row of side parterre, you should be fine. This gives you a chance to decide for yourself for future ticket purchases.

Thank you @angelicaand @nysusan —it sounds like I will keep this seat for the pleasures of a closer look at the dancers without heads in front of me albeit maybe missing some sections of stage. If it were my only performance, then I would be more wary since I gather that it is a ballet with scenic effects and that Wheeldon makes full use of the stage, but I will stick with this seat.