This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Dutch National Ballet in Los Angeles

AB'sMom

Yes. I have tickets for all three performances.  The Music Center”s   CEO announced it at a donor event last fall before tickets were on sale and added that Smirnova would be dancing a performance, which I would assume would not be opening night. 

From the Dutch National Ballet website:

KAHLO’S SOUL AND DREAMS

Already in 2016, Lopez Ochoa’s fascination with Kahlo led to Broken Wings, which she created for English National Ballet. At the request of Dutch National Ballet director Ted Brandsen, she developed this short ballet into a full-length production in 2020. Frida is not an A-to-Z story of Kahlo’s life. The most essential events are portrayed in a succession of impressive scenes in and around two black boxes, which symbolise her many bedridden days. In addition, Lopez Ochoa presents various alter egos, who reveal Kahlo’s soul and dreams, and ten male dancers bring Kahlo’s self-portraits to life.

PERSONAL TRIUMPH

Involving 49 dancers, Frida is the biggest production created to date by the Colombian-Flemish choreographer Lopez Ochoa. The title role was a personal triumph for principal dancer Maia Makhateli, who danced the world premiere. “Makhateli captures the spirit of the militant Kahlo in a formidable performance.”

I am so excited to finally see Maia Mahkateli live on stage, after seeing her only online.  

Broken Wings will be premiered by San Francisco Ballet in 2024.  It will be interesting to see the two works on several occasions and with different casts and companies. 

I was lucky enough see her in Swan Lake in Amsterdam this past March.

BTW, when I initially posted about this I kept getting error messages saying it couldn’t post, so now it is listed three times. I don’t know if someone can delete the other two.

I’m not sure about this show, but in the Netherlands they usually don’t post casting until about two weeks before the show. The entire run of Swan Lake was sold out before they even announced casting.