This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Philadelphia Ballet: 2023-2024 season

Cobweb- 

On 4/28/2024 at 9:04 PM, cobweb said:

... still no casting for The Dream/Prodigal Son program? I see the ads constantly on Facebook. 

Casting is now posted within the En Face magazine interactive on the ticket page for The Dream on the website.  You have to sign in with your email to see the program. Not the most direct access - but it’s there now!

Thank you @wallis! My goodness, why do they make it so hard to find the information that potential audiences want to know? Hopefully I will get to one or two of these performances! Seeing Ashton Roxander is at the top of my list, and I see he's doing Prodigal Son on Friday night, and Puck the Saturday matinee. Maybe an overnight trip...

Posted (edited)

Right?! That looks like a good plan, and I look forward to reading your thoughts after the shows. There are few dance writings in Philly informed by the vocabulary of dance.

Edited by wallis
On 4/30/2024 at 10:16 PM, wallis said:

Cobweb- 

Casting is now posted within the En Face magazine interactive on the ticket page for The Dream on the website.  You have to sign in with your email to see the program. Not the most direct access - but it’s there now!

Casting for The Dream is also on  Philadelphia Ballet's website.  I was able to access the casting sheet without signing in:

https://philadelphiaballet.org/23-24-season/the-dream/

Disappointingly, I am unable to get to the Dream/Prodigal Son program. I would love to hear any comments or reports from the performances. In fact, I would love to hear more commenting from Philadelphia Ballet-goers. I'm hoping to get to most programs next year (coming in from NYC), and hearing more regular reports would help me get more familiar with the company and who to be on the lookout for. 

As for Sydney Dolan, I saw her during one of my rare viewings of Philadelphia Ballet, back in 2018 in the pas de trois of Swan Lake. Even then, as an apprentice, I thought she looked absolutely lovely. Glad to see her make her way to the top!

She is phenomenal. She has great stage presence and is so adaptable. I wonder if Corella will promote someone to first soloist now that that rank is empty on the roster. I am attending the Sunday program and curious to see if anything else is announced this weekend. Rehearsal video from the dancers has looked great!

Posted (edited)

Just got back - overall, a great performance IMO. Prodigal Son was phenomenal - Zechang Liang was fantastic as the prodigal son, Dayesi Torriente wasn't my favorite as the Siren despite having loved the rehearsal videos from the company and her IG. The Dream overall was excellent with a few minor missteps I couldn't help but notice from Nayara Lopes and Arian Molina Soca in the middle of their pas de deux (which tbh was pretty surprising - usually they are extremely steady). Javier Rivet was hilarious as the Ass and I was pleasantly surprised by Nick Patterson's Puck. He hasn't really stood out to me before in any of his roles that I've seen but he was EXTREMELY clean, athletic and musical. But my favorite part may have been a very sweet onstage farewell to Corps member Fernanda Oliveira - Arian and another leading male (couldn't tell who, I think it was Sterling Baca) went over and picked her up on their shoulders and she was presented with a bouquet. It was lovely. I've always been a big fan of her and think she was under-utilized! She is retiring from ballet to continue her education. We will miss her! Very excited however for next season.

Edited by lunaysol
edited for clarity
1 hour ago, lunaysol said:

Just got back - overall, a great performance IMO. Prodigal Son was phenomenal - Zechang Liang was fantastic as the prodigal son, Dayesi Torriente wasn't my favorite as the Siren despite having loved the rehearsal videos from the company and her IG. The Dream overall was excellent with a few minor missteps I couldn't help but notice from Nayara Lopes and Arian Molina Soca in the middle of their pas de deux (which tbh was pretty surprising - usually they are extremely steady). Javier Rivet was hilarious as the Ass and I was pleasantly surprised by Nick Patterson's Puck. He hasn't really stood out to me before in any of his roles that I've seen but he was EXTREMELY clean, athletic and musical. But my favorite part may have been a very sweet onstage farewell to Corps member Fernanda Oliveira - Arian and another leading male (couldn't tell who, I think it was Sterling Baca) went over and picked her up on their shoulders and she was presented with a bouquet. It was lovely. I've always been a big fan of her and think she was under-utilized! She is retiring from ballet to continue her education. We will miss her! Very excited however for next season.

Thank you for your thoughts. I wish I could have gotten my act together and made the train trip from NYC to see this program. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lunaysol said:

But my favorite part may have been a very sweet onstage farewell to Corps member Fernanda Oliveira - Arian and another leading male (couldn't tell who, I think it was Sterling Baca) went over and picked her up on their shoulders and she was presented with a bouquet. It was lovely. I've always been a big fan of her and think she was under-utilized! She is retiring from ballet to continue her education. We will miss her! Very excited however for next season.

I saw news of Oliveira leaving on Instagram stories and was surprised. She danced with Colorado Ballet for a few years pre-COVID and was a sensational Mercedes. I thought she had great potential. But I wonder if some dancers say to themselves: I've been a corps member for ten years. Maybe it's not going to happen.  That's just my speculation, but good for her to pursue her education. From her bio, she is already a part-time student at Penn: https://philadelphiaballet.org/dancers/fernanda-oliveira/

Edited by California
1 hour ago, California said:

I saw news of Oliveira leaving on Instagram stories and was surprised. She danced with Colorado Ballet for a few years pre-COVID and was a sensational Mercedes. I thought she had great potential. But I wonder if some dancers say to themselves: I've been a corps member for ten years. Maybe it's not going to happen.  That's just my speculation, but good for her to pursue her education. From her bio, she is already a part-time student at Penn: https://philadelphiaballet.org/dancers/fernanda-oliveira/

She's actually going to NYU Law in the fall! If you watch her stories you can see her in an NYU law tee. I think you are right about the timeline though. I really wish they'd used her more - I think she really stands out and is fun to watch.