This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

TWB 2022-2023 Season

2022/23 Season Subscription | The Washington Ballet

The first program will be the latest edition of NEXTSteps - new works. I'm thrilled that my beloved Silas Farley is among the three named choreographers! Love his new work for NYCB last May and his digital works for TWB and ABT last year.  I also admire Dana Genshaft, who created two works in the past. The third choreographer, A. Ndlovu, comes with high praise too, although I've yet to see his work.  No fist pumps/sneakers/overly-woke work, please!

Judging from an email that Julie Kent sent to subscribers and donors, the WB had some additional retirements beyond those of Sona Kharatian and Tamas Krisza that were celebrated in their season-ending program.

Dan Roberge, a longtime company dancer, will be studying for a Master’s degree in Leadership for Creative Enterprises at Northwestern University, Katherine Barkman, who joined TWB in 2018, will be dancing as a soloist at San Francisco Ballet and Lucy Nevin will be studying full-time at Georgetown University hoping to complete her degree by Spring 2023.

IMnotasHasitshouldbeO, Katherine Barkman was the best ballerina that the WB had during my 9 years of watching, so it is disappointing that she has left. 

Casting for the Easter weekend "Aurora's Wedding" program is available at Aurora’s Wedding Casting | The Washington Ballet

Eun Won Lee and Gian Carlo Perez get the most star time.

The program is "family friendly", which as usual means "short", consisting only of Theme and Variations (which they performed in their February program) and the final scene from The Sleeping Beauty (which they will perform as their season-ending performance). "Family friendly" also means an early start time, which makes the Friday performance (the cast that would be my preference) not particularly "driver friendly".

Edited by YouOverThere

I received an email from the WB stating that a 15% discount on tickets is available by using the code FAIRYTALE. The email didn't specify whether the code was only available for online sales, but apparently is good for any seat. It's a bit surprising that they are offering a discount since there aren't a whole lot of tickets left.

Casting can be found here:

https://www.washingtonballet.org/the-sleeping-beauty-casting/

I suppose that I will end up going to at least one performance, but I'm not really in the mood. My long-time accomplice for ballets and symphonies has entered the home stretch of her life. By opening night, she will have been moved to a hospice.

Edited by YouOverThere
On 4/29/2023 at 12:13 AM, YouOverThere said:

I received an email from the WB stating that a 15% discount on tickets is available by using the code FAIRYTALE. The email didn't specify whether the code was only available for online sales, but apparently is good for any seat. It's a bit surprising that they are offering a discount since there aren't a whole lot of tickets left.

Casting can be found here:

https://www.washingtonballet.org/the-sleeping-beauty-casting/

I suppose that I will end up going to at least one performance, but I'm not really in the mood. My long-time accomplice for ballets and symphonies has entered the home stretch of her life. By opening night, she will have been moved to a hospice.

Any input on the Eisenhower box tier high chair seats [only available]?  Very sad to read about your show accomplice.  

Edited by maps
5/2

Washingtonians: any word on the Washington Ballet schedule for 2023-24? Or, at least, when they plan to announce? Almost every other company has announced by now. I'm wondering if they are waiting until Julie Kent is actually gone from the company. Also, do we know who will be artistic director next year?

14 hours ago, California said:

Washingtonians: any word on the Washington Ballet schedule for 2023-24? Or, at least, when they plan to announce? Almost every other company has announced by now. I'm wondering if they are waiting until Julie Kent is actually gone from the company. Also, do we know who will be artistic director next year?

IIRC, last year they didn't announce this season's schedule until after last season ended.

I've been wondering if they will make an AD announcement at one of the Sleeping Beauty performances.

8 hours ago, maps said:

What looks like a position announcement is dated April 14. I would have thought that they would have begun soliciting applicants months ago. Is it easy for people to get out from AD/assistant AD/ballet master/mistress contracts? Because I would think that everyone in those sorts of positions would have already signed a contract for next season, or at least would have to sign a contract very soon.

15 hours ago, YouOverThere said:

What looks like a position announcement is dated April 14. I would have thought that they would have begun soliciting applicants months ago. Is it easy for people to get out from AD/assistant AD/ballet master/mistress contracts? Because I would think that everyone in those sorts of positions would have already signed a contract for next season, or at least would have to sign a contract very soon.

Kent's appointment at Houston was announced December 22. I would have assumed they'd immediately start looking or retaining a search firm, especially with so much turn-over/retirements in the ballet world.

https://www.houstonballet.org/globalassets/news/2022/press-release_houston-ballet-announces-julie-kent-as-co-artistic-director_122222.pdf

2 minutes ago, YouOverThere said:

Fortunately, this forum contains people who know everything, so our thread on her leaving was started 2 months earlier. 😉

All the more reason for them to have started the search even earlier! Of course, it's quite possible they started one in confidence for the board to consider what's out there before public recruitment announcements. A private company would not be bound by the sorts of restrictions that face public universities, etc.

On 5/1/2023 at 2:06 PM, maps said:

Any input on the Eisenhower box tier high chair seats [only available]?

I bet the WB is wishing that they had opened on Wednesday as they usually do, given that all 5 scheduled performances have essentially been sold out for several days.

On 5/1/2023 at 2:06 PM, maps said:

Any input on the Eisenhower box tier high chair seats [only available]? 

Tickets occasionally become available (I managed to grab 1 for the Saturday evening performance). Given how fast tickets on the high side of $150 are getting gulped up, there must be a fairly large number of people who are motivated by it being Julie Kent's finale.

On 5/5/2023 at 5:28 PM, YouOverThere said:

Tickets occasionally become available (I managed to grab 1 for the Saturday evening performance). Given how fast tickets on the high side of $150 are getting gulped up, there must be a fairly large number of people who are motivated by it being Julie Kent's finale.

I'm glad that I got my ticket at a reasonable price. They have a few tickets left for the Saturday evening performance that they are selling at pretty steep prices, e.g., $150 for a seat in the balcony.