This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Le Rouge et le Noir

Drew

Up to me, it’s a beautiful production with gorgeous set (painted canvases  in trompe l'oeil technic, a very beautiful know-how of the opera house) and great costumes. However the ballet is too long, ill constructed with too much scenes and characters. It needs a stricter editing… I'm not a big fan of the choreography either, it's sometimes too repetitive, presumably to characterize the roles but during 3 hours, it becomes redundant...

21 hours ago, silvermash said:

Up to me, it’s a beautiful production with gorgeous set (painted canvases  in trompe l'oeil technic, a very beautiful know-how of the opera house) and great costumes. However the ballet is too long, ill constructed with too much scenes and characters. It needs a stricter editing… I'm not a big fan of the choreography either, it's sometimes too repetitive, presumably to characterize the roles but during 3 hours, it becomes redundant...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. It sounds as if  some of the problems might be fixed with judicious editing...but not all...

yes. I had a second view last night with a different cast and  it seems to me that too much is missing than a cut of all the unnecessary scenes that don't add anything to the story. You never get into the complexity of the characters, they don't carry the story. It's more of a series of variations and pas de deux of different styles put end to end and it's not helped by the coutless changes of scenes ... this choreographic problem could only be solved by reworking the choreography to bring  a real storytelling though it and also emotions.

The backdrops seem kind of ravishing as gigantic drawings, and I think I understand what Lacotte said about the characters-emerging-from-book effect he wanted but I did find myself wondering how the black and white look actually worked in the theater.  (I have read some French comments about the production now...not a lot though.)