This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Scala Appoints Manuel Legris as Ballet Director

mussel

10 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

Manuel Legris plans to leave La Scala at the end of the 2024-25 season (bearing in mind that La Scala's season always opens on December 7). Roberto Bolle and Eleonora Abbagnato are being considered for the job.

https://www.ilgiorno.it/milano/cronaca/laddio-amaro-dei-francesi-alla-scala-legris-sara-la-mia-ultima-stagione-76e2a0c3

To an outsider it seems as if the job would be Bolle's for the asking.

He's a La Scala product in a way Abbagnato is not and, although he hasn't run a company as she has, he has been running his own touring group for quite some time.  (Of course I don't know what I don't know. Perhaps others know more?)

Given Legris's  experience with big opera houses in Paris and Vienna, as well as dancing throughout the world, he had seemed a good choice for La Scala -- I say this even though my own tastes don't always line up with his programming.  (As indeed I wouldn't expect them to line up with anyone programming at La Scala.)  I gather from English press reports that the current Italian government wants Italians for leading cultural positions in Italy.