This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

presentation on "eccentric dance" in films August 5

Anyone in LA that can rearrange their schedule to get to this tomorrow -- go, and tell us about it.

The Choreography of Comedy: The Art of Eccentric Dance

From the LA Times article

"Tony Nicholas, the son of Fayard, is excited to show Nicholas Brothers home movies Monday evening because they are 'something to behold.' He’ll be screening some 'exciting new footage we have discovered that no one has ever seen.'”

'The Choreography of Comedy: The Art of Eccentric Dance'
Where: Samuel Goldwyn Theater, 8949 Wilshire Blvd., Beverly Hills
When: 7:30 p.m. Monday
Tickets: $3-$5
Info: oscars.org

Somewhat related:

TCM played Broadway Rhythm the other night and it includes a routine by the Ross Sisters - who sing (a la the Andrew Sisters), do a little dancing, but mainly break into a long contortionist routine (to music) which is a marvel. We're talking MAJOR CORE STRENGTH.
I can honestly say I had never seen anything quite like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1J3NLNWAPU
[Jump to 1:20 in the timeline]

On 8/9/2019 at 9:39 PM, pherank said:

Somewhat related:

TCM played Broadway Rhythm the other night and it includes a routine by the Ross Sisters - who sing (a la the Andrew Sisters), do a little dancing, but mainly break into a long contortionist routine (to music) which is a marvel. We're talking MAJOR CORE STRENGTH.
I can honestly say I had never seen anything quite like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1J3NLNWAPU
[Jump to 1:20 in the timeline]

"What do they do?"  "All sort of comical di-dos."

I've seen this online a few times, but most folks don't get past the "ooh, icky" aspect of the style -- we don't seen contortionist acts in a conventional music context anymore, but this must be what music hall and vaudeville programs were full of.  We look at the programs today -- the wild mixture of elements -- and we just don't have a clue. 

And yes, astonishing core strength. 

23 hours ago, sandik said:

"What do they do?"  "All sort of comical di-dos."

I've seen this online a few times, but most folks don't get past the "ooh, icky" aspect of the style -- we don't seen contortionist acts in a conventional music context anymore, but this must be what music hall and vaudeville programs were full of.  We look at the programs today -- the wild mixture of elements -- and we just don't have a clue. 

And yes, astonishing core strength. 

Definitely many vaudeville acts resembled what many of us today would expect to see at a circus. I wonder if vaudeville (at its beginning) wasn't simply a collection of circus acts that would fit easily on a theater stage (along with the usual stage arts like singing, dancing and comedy).

The closest thing we have to vaudeville in the present day is probably shows like "The Tonight Show", or "America's Got Talent".