This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Patricia McBride Lousada

The George Balanchine Foundation noted on its Facebook page that Patricia McBride Lousada died recently. According to their page:  "We at the George Balanchine Foundation are saddened to learn of the death of Pat McBride Lousada who received her early trainig [sic] at the School of American Ballet and danced for Balanchine with Ballet Society in THE TRIUMPH OF BACCHUS AND ARIADNE and ÉLÉGIE, and in the first New York City Ballet performance of SERENADE in 1948 at New York City Center. She left the company in the early 1950's and later moved to England where she was married to Sir Anthony Lousada."

https://www.facebook.com/The-George-Balanchine-Foundation-284470914818/

I haven't seen any obituaries yet.

Neryssa

Thank you for posting, Neryssa. Sorry to hear that.  As people who have seen "Tanaquil Le Clercq: Afternoon of a Faun" know, she was close to Le Clercq. In interviews she had many interesting insights to share about Le Clercq and life in the company in that era. RIP.

On 1/22/2019 at 3:22 PM, dirac said:

Thank you for posting, Neryssa. Sorry to hear that.  As people who have seen "Tanaquil Le Clercq: Afternoon of a Faun" know, she was close to Le Clercq. In interviews she had many interesting insights to share about Le Clercq and life in the company in that era. RIP.

Here is her obituary in The Guardian:  https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2019/jan/23/patricia-lousada-obituary

Thank you for posting the NYTimes obituary.

I do not see very many photos of her on the Internet. In fact, I don't see many photos of her in NYC Ballet history books either. When did she quit dancing for the New York City Ballet? 1950?

I love the photo of her as the "Botticelli Girl" in the Guardian obituary.    

Edited by Neryssa
error

I reread the Times obituary last night. I initially missed the part:  "In 1951, Ms. Lousada left City Ballet and married the producer Carmen Capablo. She expressed regret about her early retirement from ballet all her life, telling an interviewer in 2012 that she didn’t like to think back on the City Ballet years because “I ratted my chances.” Balanchine, she said, had believed in her and had been 'totally disappointed' when she left."

What a shame.

On 1/29/2019 at 11:49 AM, Neryssa said:

I do not see very many photos of her on the Internet. In fact, I don't see many photos of her in NYC Ballet history books either. When did she quit dancing for the New York City Ballet? 1950?

Alastair Macaulay happened to post a notice about McBride-Lousada on his Instagram page, and there's a photo of Tanaquil Le Clercq and Pat McBride standing together:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtQyJFNALIE/