This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Matthew Bourne's Cinderella

I searched the forum to check if anyone else has seen or commented about Bourne's Cinderella but couldn't find anything. I went to the performance last night at The Kennedy Center, and I'm sorry to say that I was disappointed. I really wanted to love it considering the high praises I have heard from colleagues and reviews of his other productions. If you're interested, here are some of my thoughts about the show. And I would truly appreciate reading the opinion of others, especially from those who enjoyed it.

I hadn't intended to attend this, but I got roped into buying a ticket for the Sunday performance. I'm not a Matthew Bourne fan, and this show did nothing to change that. When they are putting on 8 shows in 6 days and using the same cast for all 8 shows, there's obviously no way to have the performers perform virtuoso dances. What I would consider to be "dance" took up about 20 percent of the performance time, and I didn't see anything special about. I still think that the proper title for Bourne's productions should be "dancical", because to me they are like musicals except that the performers dance rather than sing. 

On 1/18/2019 at 6:43 AM, Mashinka said:

Very much a snapshot of the London blitz, perhaps too English for export?  It goes down extremely well on Bourne's home turf.

They put on 8 shows in DC and probably sold close to 90 percent of the tickets, so it isn't unpopular, at least in this area (and receiving a fawning review in the Washington Post). But I think that Bourne's work appeals more to people who like "Broadway" shows than to people who like ballet.

Edited by YouOverThere