This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Guests with St Petersburg Ballet Theatre in London

News from London and of interest to her fans here is that Yulia Stepanova is dancing in Swan Lake.  I wasn't aware she was coming, not sure if she is in addition to or replacing Anna Nikulina who was scheduled to dance.  I understand the season has been extended somewhat as  there are now three princes Kim. Rodkin and Volchkov so perhaps Stepanova was roped in as third cast.

I know avid balletomanes in London, they spent their whole lives watching ballet, some remember Fonteyn when she was still  in her forties, who pay top prices for the best seats to see Stepanova every time she comes to London. Incidentally, none of them has the habit to post at any ballet forum.

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:00 AM, Laurent said:

I know avid balletomanes in London, they spent their whole lives watching ballet, some remember Fonteyn when she was still  in her forties, who pay top prices for the best seats to see Stepanova every time she comes to London. Incidentally, none of them has the habit to post at any ballet forum.

Trust me, people who saw Fonteyn (most  dead by now) loved line and musicality something in which Stepanova is mostly lacking.   Funny the survivors from those days don't post.

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:11 AM, Quinten said:
On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:23 PM, Mashinka said:

Looking at her IG profile, she appears to be from South Africa,

I think I've made my point.

You know, we all like some artists and dislike others, for whatever reasons. However, I would like to point out that it is precisely her rare musicality, her singing body, referred to as "cantilena' in the professional parlance, academic purity and finesse of her lines that has been drawing to Stepanova experts and ordinary ballet lovers alike before she even graduated from school.

People who are regulars of various ballet fora form a tiny-tiny fraction of actual ballet goers, by the way.

Edited by Laurent
1 hour ago, Josette said:

I saw Fonteyn dance and I am a long way off from being dead. 

I saw Fonteyn dance when she was still in her forties and am likewise way off from being dead. The balletomanes I meant are by all means 'native Londoners' and some of them remember Fonteyn when she was still at her prime.

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:41 PM, Quinten said:

Your point seems to be that only certain kinds of people (native Londoners?) are relevant when it comes to evaluating ballerinas performing in London.  Not a pretty position to take.  

That was not my point at all, but I'm aware that there are now more travelling fans that support various dancers.  It has always been the case that criteria differs between ballet centres, what cuts no ice in London may go down a storm elsewhere and vice versa.

Fonteyn by the way was born in 1919, so to have seen her when she was in her forties you would need to have been an adult by 1969, e.g. 70+.