This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Jennifer Homans' biography of Balanchine

I've been picking my way through this. Pleasant nighttime reading. I do find it interesting where Homan goes heavy on a topic and where she just glosses over. For example, she had a page or so on the composer Xenakis and practically nothing on Gelsey Kirkland. She looked closely at Balanchine's use or non-use of Black dancers, quoting from an interview she did with Mel Tomlinson before he passed away in 2019, yet didn't mention Debra Austin, for whom he made an indelible solo in Ballo della Regina. Homan writes a lot about Arthur Mitchell but never mentions the charming pas de deux Balanchine created for him and Mary Hinkson for The Figure in the Carpet. Seems odd not to mention, in the context of a discussion on Balanchine and race, the two times he did choreograph parts on Black women. 

30 minutes ago, Dale said:

I've been picking my way through this. Pleasant nighttime reading. I do find it interesting where Homan goes heavy on a topic and where she just glosses over. For example, she had a page or so on the composer Xenakis and practically nothing on Gelsey Kirkland. She looked closely at Balanchine's use or non-use of Black dancers, quoting from an interview she did with Mel Tomlinson before he passed away in 2019, yet didn't mention Debra Austin, for whom he made an indelible solo in Ballo della Regina. Homan writes a lot about Arthur Mitchell but never mentions the charming pas de deux Balanchine created for him and Mary Hinkson for The Figure in the Carpet. Seems odd not to mention, in the context of a discussion on Balanchine and race, the two times he did choreograph parts on Black women. 

I read the book, admittedly skimming some parts, and agree. She devotes pages and pages of context to some events/ideas, and barely any context to others.