This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Anyone desiring to see an extraordinary and luxurious exhibit of new and old Chines fashion should head to the Metropolitan Museum in NYC. Included are ancient silk robes along side newer clothes inspired by the old. There are fantastic headpieces and hair ornaments (one is of an entire village including prancing cranes made entirely of bamboo). Anyone who wondered at the out size of the headpieces worn at the recent showing of "Sleeping Beauty" at ABT should look at what's on display here! And there's one gold gown on the second floor (by a contemporary designer Gua Pei) that puts the Queen's gown in "SB" to shame!! There's plenty of Alexander McQueen here, as well as John Galliano and, of course, St. LAurent. But it's the juxtaposition of the old and new that really works. There's even a gown with a bodice made of shards from broken Chinese pottery! Also, many film clips, including one of Fred Astaire and Ann Miller in "Zeigfield Follies 1945" They are both made up to look Asian and the dance moves are a bit hokey, but it's fun to see. This entire exhibit is just wonderful. One of the best ever from the Met. It's there through Aug. 16th. SEE IT!!

I went to see this, and it's indeed wonderful. Very interesting to see an imperial gown from the Ming dinasty next to a contemporary dress by Galliano using the same pattern as the original. There is a whole section devoted to the quipao, many of them from the 30's and 40's, from the very modest to the ultra luxurious ones. I really enjoyed the exhibition.

I saw it too. The show stretches over three floors: older and Chinese-made holdings dominate the bottom floor and it gradually shades into mainly contemporary and Western-made holdings on the top floor.

Oddly for me, I enjoyed the historic costumes more than the couture. While it was interesting to see the archive Lanvin on the top floor (and the Stephen Jones hats used throughout were endlessly inventive), I thought the bottom floor and the small uniform exhibit at the head of the stairway leading down to it were the most enjoyable parts of the show. If you're short on time, try to catch them...they're buried a bit further back in the gallery.