This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Punk rock empresario Malcolm McLaren is dead at the age of 64.

McLaren's greatest fame came as the manager of the late 70s punk rock group the Sex Pistols (after first having managed The New York Dolls in their waning days.) He made a number of records under his own name during the 1980s which, depending on your point of view, were either (a) prescient examples of future pop trends, or (b) shameless cultural thievery of underground trends in minority culture (i.e. "Double Dutch," "Deep in Vogue").

A bit of both, I’d say. :)

Thanks for posting this sad news. I haven’t felt this old since Joe Strummer dropped dead. R.I.P. and I trust he’ll be shaking things up in the sweet hereafter.

Rolling Stone

Malcolm McLaren, the former Sex Pistols manager who is credited with helping form the legendary U.K. punk band, has died at the age of 64 after a battle with cancer. “He had been suffering from cancer for some time, but recently had been full of health, which then rapidly deteriorated,” McLaren’s spokesman Les Molloy told The Independent. Molloy confirmed McLaren died in New York this morning; his body will be moved to London for burial in Highgate Cemetery. John Lydon said in a statement, “For me Malc was always entertaining, and I hope you remember that. Above all else he was an entertainer and I will miss him, and so should you.”

NYT

He went on to record his own music. His album “Duck Rock” (1983), a blend of world music and hip-hop, generated the hit singles “Buffalo Gals” and “Double Dutch.”

“I’m much more of a magician than a musician,” he told The Globe and Mail of Toronto in 1985. “I steal other people’s songs and try to make them better.”

"How many ways to get what you want/I use the best I use the rest"