This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

So, has anyone else seen this new film featuring Colin Firth and Julianne Moore?

Directed by fashion designer Tom Ford (his debut), A Single Man tells the tale of a gay professor (Firth) in 1962 who has lost his partner in a car accident and resolves to join him in death. Over the course of a single day, he plans his suicide and, along the way, encounters various individuals (a male student of his, a male hustler, a female friend of longstanding [Moore]) who may or may not deter him from his plan of action.

The performances are excellent, especially by Firth. There are some heartbreaking scenes, particularly the one where Firth's character finds out that his partner Jim has died and he is told that the funeral will be for "just family". [Jim's parents having never accepted their son's relationship.] It makes you realize how far we have come since 1962.

As you would expect from Tom Ford, the look of the film is impeccable. While it goes too far to say (as one review did) that the film looks like a perfume commercial, I did find myself chuckling at how ridiculously attractive everyone (including extras) was in the film. Even southern California (where the film takes place) in 1962 could not possibly have boasted this level of attractiveness!

I'd like to see this if I get a chance, as those are two of my favourite actors. Firth was marvelous as Richard Herncastle in an old Masterpiece Theater based on J.B. Priestley's 'Lost Empires', a brilliant adaptation of the book about WWI era music hall in England. I wouldn't object to everybody being attractive (I frankly don't find that a problem in contemporary movies), it still sounds way beyond 'American Gigolo'. I like Julianne Moore in everything I've ever seen her, even when I didn't like the movie itself much or at all, and I thought her performance in 'The Hours' was exquisite (the scene with Toni Collette was extraordinary).

I'd like to join the Julianne Moore fan club expressed in this thread......as Patrick says, I've never seen anything she does that I didn't love. "Hours" is one of my all time favorite films...in no small part because of Moore's performance. Other performances of hers that stick out in my mind are: the film "Far from Heaven", and the short "sort of play" on film by Samuel Beckett where essentially just a mouth talks and talks fast and talks stream of conciousness (I forget the name of the play.....but it will stop you short in your tracks if you see it).

As you would expect from Tom Ford, the look of the film is impeccable. While it goes too far to say (as one review did) that the film looks like a perfume commercial, I did find myself chuckling at how ridiculously attractive everyone (including extras) was in the film. Even southern California (where the film takes place) in 1962 could not possibly have boasted this level of attractiveness!

Thanks for posting about the movie, miliosr. I haven't seen it because I like the novel and was reluctant to see it get Ford-ized. There's nothing especially glamorous about the original story. I do plan to see it eventually, though. (I don't recall anything in the book about George getting banned from Jim's funeral by the family and will have to look that up.)