This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Pyetr [Nikolai] Nikolaevich Vladimirov?

the attached photocard scan shows a VLADIMIROV - one whose initials are given, erroneously i suspect, as M. A. - but whose name i think more likely to be Pyetr Nikolaevich - thus making this an early photo of the Russian emigre dancer/teacher Pierre Vladimirov - possibly from 1912, the year when PNV danced the Favorite Slave in PAVILLON in Petersburg.

post-848-1248817655_thumb.jpg

the attached photocard scan shows a VLADIMIROV - one whose initials are given, erroneously i suspect, as M. A. - but whose name i think more likely to be Pyetr Nikolaevich - thus making this an early photo of the Russian emigre dancer/teacher Pierre Vladimirov - possibly from 1912, the year when PNV danced the Favorite Slave in PAVILLON in Petersburg.

This is Pyotr(Peter/Pierre) aged as you indicate 19 years old. I have not seen this photograph before, which as a new discovery, is always a great pleasure. Thank you.

since posting this, i have had confirmation about the costume (Favorite Slave from PAVILLON D'ARMIDE) and from the fact that in 1912/13 season P. N. Vladimirov was the only one to have danced this role (when he would have been 19) and that the Fischer studio responsible for the photo's production was known to make errors in its captioning.

to those btw who know their Russian, can any one say if the second letter in his first name is a YE or a YO?

my source books indicate a YE and not the YO (as in Pyotr Ilich Tchaikovsky) but i suppose maybe the two-dot mark is 'understood' over the E.