This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I'd reserved judgment until I'd seen the Paris Opera Ballet's new DVD, and its corps is characteristically amazing. So even though my assessment of the forthcoming Royal Ballet Giselle is based only on YouTube clips, I'm casting my vote for the Parisians.

Ha...try the cuban Willis in the 1965 video...and for the renverses's willi, Amparo Brito in the 1980 production.

indeed the kirov GISELLE noted above is dated, 1983, with credits as follows:

Giselle : 1983. 110 min. : sd. color

New York : Thorn EMI video, c1983. Released through the National Video Corporation Limited.

Videotaped in performance at the Leningrad Theatre of Opera and Ballet. Production staged by Oleg Vinogradov. Director: Maxim Krastin. Directed for television by Preben Montell.

Choreography: Jean Coralli & Jules Perrot revised by Marius Petipa. Music: Adolphe Adam.

Performed by: Galina Mezentseva (Giselle), Konstantin Zaklinsky (Albrecht), Olga Vtorushina & Sergei Vuharev (Act I pas de deux), Tatyana Terekhova (Myrtha), Altunai Assylmuratova (Monna), Olga Lyhovskaya (Zyulma), and members of the Kirov Ballet.