This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nikolai Tsiskaridze

drb

A book, "Tsiskaridze: Moments," has just been published by P. Jurgenson in Russia on Bolshoi Primo Nikolai Tsiskaridze, familiar here as one of the "Kings of Dance":

http://www.moscowbooks.ru/book.asp?id=386025

In addition to some exceptional photos and excerpts of numerous performance reviews, it includes writings from the dancer himself.

After 15 years on the stage, Mr. Tsiskaridze begins

Since the first time I went on stage, I kept a diary, which recorded dates all my performances. In the diary is a postcard with the image of the

Bolshoi Theatre.

On that card, in a child's handwriting,

I will be here to dance!

Tsiskaridze finds no "indifferent" minutes on the stage, but almost in a state of awe says

cherish every moment of stage existence, cherish them, as the supreme gift of heaven.
"

Did anyone see the Channel 4 (UK) documentary by the Balley Boyz about Christopher Wheeldon's creation for the Bolshoi earlier this year. It was shown on Christmas Day here.

Nicolai Tsiskaridze featured in the documentary. He had been chosen for the lead but dropped out due to "a fever". Several times he mentioned the solo "Narcissus", which I saw him perform in Harrogate(!) some years ago. I know clever editing can give a programme a slant but he did come across as being ideal for the role!

He had been chosen for the lead but dropped out due to "a fever". Several times he mentioned the solo "Narcissus", which I saw him perform in Harrogate(!) some years ago. I know clever editing can give a programme a slant but he did come across as being ideal for the role!

Well said!

I saw the Ballet Boyz absorbing documentary too. I thought Tsiskaridze, who came across as a particularly tiresome diva in the early rehearsals of Wheeldon's piece, redeemed himself later by being thoroughly charming - and rather endearing - when entertaining the boyz to tea in his apartment. Of course, cynically, I have to wonder if they didn't just show him the earlier clips and he thought he'd better redress the balance somehow....

Whatever, it all made for very entertaining TV and I hope US ballet fans will get a chance to see it too.

I saw his interview as an extra in "Pique Dame" and he did come across as extremely arrogant, referring to himself as a "young artist" and then saying, without apparent irony: ""I was picked because I was the best, the most talented, and I could do everything." In contrast, the gorgeous Ilze Liepa (who looks a lot like Uma Thurman) seemed so down-to-earth and humble.

Any way to get hold of this book without going to Russia/Russian contacts?

Dear Ostrich,

I tried to look for any link to distributors of the book but the only one I found was an e-mail address of the Information desk at the "Moskva" bookstore at Tverskaya Street in Moscow where the book is available at the moment:

spravka@moscowbooks.ru

Considering the price of the book, 3433 Roubles (approx. £69), and its heavy weight, the expense will be quite significant.

There is the Grant & Cutler bookstore in London specializing in Russian books but I found that their addition to prices are quite high.

Grant & Cutler

www.grantandcutler.com

55-57 Great Marlborough St

London, W1F 7AY, UK

+44 20 77342012

Having said all that I found that this book is worth of its high price. The selection of photographs, and their number and quality are outstanding.