This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Competing Bayaderes - who will win?

It seems as if Natalia Makarova's version of La Bayadere has become ubiquitous. The ABT, Royal Ballet, now the La Scala Ballet and the Dutch National Ballet all perform Makarova's version of La Bayadere. Personally I dislike the Makarova version -- I think it streamlines the Grand Betrothal act unforgivably, reducing the Shades from 32 to 24 annoys me, and the "choreography" for the lost act is uninspired. I also hate the souped up musical rearrangements she made. But competing with Makarova's version is the POB Bayadere (produced by Nureyev), which choreographically is nearly a carbon copy of the Kirov's Bayadere. The Bolshoi Bayadere (available on VHS) is a weird mish-mash, where Gamzatti dances on pointe the entire ballet, and with a one-minute destruction of the temple after the Shades scene.

But anyway, do you think Makarova's Bayadere will "win" ultimately? It's certainly easier to produce, especially for smaller stages and companies. And it has a beginning, a middle, and an end, which to Western audiences might be easier to digest. 20 or 30 years from now, do you think the ballet world's idea of Bayadere will be Makarova's version?

While Makarova's Bayadère is not my favorite, it is nowhere near as egregious as the Peter Martins Sleeping Beauty and Swan Lake or Kevin McKenzie's Swan Lake and Nutcracker, so if it does become ubiquitous, I don't think that is necessarily such a great tragedy. However, I do prefer the Kirov's reconstruction and the POB's Nureyev/Sergeyev, and hopefully those will continue to be performed.

I just think Makarova reduces the spectacle and grandeur of La Bayadere a lot. She streamlines the Betrothal Scene to shreds, and reducing the number of Shades also lessens the impact of the Shades scene. Plus, as I said, I hate her musical arrangements.

I just think Makarova reduces the spectacle and grandeur of La Bayadere a lot. . . . reducing the number of Shades also lessens the impact of the Shades scene.
I just counted ABT's corps women and got a grand total of 35 (almost a third of whom are obvious soloist material), plus one apprentice. They'd probably need a Maryinsky-sized company to be able to deliver a Maryinsky-sized Shades Act. With the cheapest tickets (including standing room) now at $24 weeknights/$27 Saturdays, I'm willing to live with 24.
. . . Plus, as I said, I hate her musical arrangements.
Lanchberry's, actually, and yeah! Ouch! :FIREdevil: