This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

VAI is releasing a compilation DVD called, "Art of the Pas de Deux." Some of it is taken from already released DVDs in its catalogue, but there are some new items, too:

http://www.vaimusic.com/VIDEO/DVD_4381_ArtofPasdeDeux.htm

Art of the Pas de Deux

VAI DVD 4381, $34.95

This compilation presents more than a dozen legendary dancers in some of the most celebrated pas de deux in the ballet repertoire. DVD includes excerpts from Romeo and Juliet, Raymonda, Firebird, Don Quixote, Swan Lake, Cinderella, performed by Galina Ulanova, Maria Tallchief, Rudolf Nureyev, Maya Plisetskaya, Vladimir Vasiliev, Margot Fonteyn, Michael Somes, Alicia Alonso, Azari Plisetsky, Erik Bruhn, Lupe Serrano, Jacques D’Amboise, Patricia McBride, and others. 85 minutes, Color/B&W.

Prokofieff: Romeo and Juliet

The Scene in Juliet’s Bedroom

Galina Ulanova and Yuri Zhdanov

Choreography by Leonid Lavrovsky

1954 • © 1983 Corinth Films, Inc.

From VAI DVD 4260

Helsted & Paulli: Flower Festival in Genzano

Maria Tallchief and Rudolf Nureyev

Choreography by Erik Bruhn, after Bournonville

1962 • © 2001 Jaffe Partners Limited Partnership

from VAI DVD 4221

Shchedrin: The Little Humpbacked Horse

The Queen-Maiden and Ivan

Maya Plisetskaya and Vladimir Vasiliev

Choreography by Alexander Radunsky

© 1961 Sovexportfilm

From VAI DVD 4265

Glazunov: Raymonda – Act I Pas de Deux

Nina Ananiashvili and Aleksei Fadeyechev

Choreography by Petipa revised by Yuri Grigorovich

© 1993 Arts Core/Mitsubishi Corporation in

association with Japan Arts.

From VAI DVD 4242

Stravinsky: Firebird • The Prince & the Firebird

Dame Margot Fonteyn and Michael Somes

Choreography by Michel Fokine

1963 • © 2006 Jaffe Partners Limited Partnership

Adam: Giselle – Act II Pas de Deux

Alicia Alonso and Azari Plisetsky

Choreography by Alicia Alonso after Coralli and Perrot

1963 • Film source courtesy of Film Institute of Cuba

From VAI DVD 4343

Shchedrin: Carmen Suite

Carmen / Don José Pas de Deux

Maya Plisetskaya and Nikolai Fadeyechev

Choreography by Alberto Alonso

1969 • © 1973, 1983 Corinth Films

From VAI DVD 4294

Minkus: Don Quixote - Grand Pas

Maria Tallchief and Erik Bruhn

Choreography by Petipa

1961 • © 2001 Jaffe Partners Limited Partnership

From VAI DVD 4234

Khachaturian: Spartacus

The Reunion of Spartacus and Phrygia

Natalia Bessmertnova and Vladimir Vasiliev

Choreography by Yuri Grigorovich

1977 • © 1979 Corinth Films, Inc.

From VAI DVD 4262

Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake • Black Swan Pas de Deux

Lupe Serrano and Jacques D’Amboise

Choreography by Petipa / Ivanov

1960 • © 2006 Jaffe Partners Limited Partnership

Prokofieff: Cinderella

Cinderella and the Prince

Dame Margot Fonteyn and Michael Somes

Choreography by Sir Frederick Ashton

1957 • © Showcase Productions, Inc.

From VAI DVD 4296

Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux

Patricia McBride and Reid Olson

Choreography by George Balanchine

1984 • © 1986 Cliff Dance

From VAI DVD 4351

TT: 85 minutes

VAI is releasing a compilation DVD called, "Art of the Pas de Deux." Some of it is taken from already released DVDs in its catalogue, but there are some new items, too:

Dale, I wish VAI wouldn't do so much of this mix and matching. Their discs are pretty expensive and it galls me that they see fit to sprinkle in some new material in a batch of stuff that is on some of their other discs.

The only two items I haven't seen are Serrano/D'Amboise Black Swan pdd and the McBride/Olson Tchai pas

(which is on another disc...just one I haven't purchased yet)

I realize the Fonteyn/Soames Firebird is not in common circulation but if VAI has the rights to this chunk, one

wonders if the entire Czinner film with the Firebird, Ondine, Swan Lake Act 2 may appear.

Again VAI is not a reasonably priced outfit; they are definitely at the high end.

This is the kind of nonsense that the CD companies do too. If I want a specific opera recital by say Beverly Sills, can I get the original LP program on one disc? No, there is one I've been trying to get and pieces

are on three different CDs. But even here not all the material from the original LP is released

Don't worry, I'm not trying to shoot the (efficient) messenger!

I think the Firebird is from the Bell Telephone Hour, which VAI has the broadcast rights. Here's the listing from the NYPL:

*MGZHB 4-1174

Title Firebird: Pas de deux (Motion picture)

Imprint 1961.

Descript 1 reel. 9 1/2 min. 346 ft. : sd. b&w. ; 16 mm.

Note Telecast on Bell Telephone Hour. December 8, 1961, on NBC-TV. Producer: Burt Shevelove.

Choreography: Serge Grigoriev and Lubov Tchernicheva after Mikhail Fokine. Music: Igor Stravinsky. Scenery: Peter Dohanos. Costumes: Nataliya Goncharova. Performed by Margot Fonteyn and Michael Somes.

The Czinner film with the Firebird, Ondine, Swan Lake Act 2 mentioned has been shown a lot on public television.

The other Bell Telephone Hour item on the DVD is this (listing from NYPL):

*MGZHB 4-28

Title Swan lake: Act III, Black swan pas de deux (Motion picture)

Imprint [196-?] Descript 1 reel. 10 min. 362 ft. : sd. b&w. ; 16 mm.

Note Telecast of Bell Telephone hour, November 25, 1960.

Duration of dance: 9 min.

Music: Tchaikowsky.

Cast: Lupe Serrano and Jacques d'Amboise.

richard53dog, I understand your frustration. The addition of the Bell Telephone Hour was probably a way to sweeten the pot. Fortunately for me, I hadn't bought some of the Plisetskaya things. As to the costs, as long as VAI is giving me things I can't get elsewhere, I accept it. Let's face it, these things aren't blockbusters. We complain when the Live from Lincoln Center people don't figure away to release those programs, but kill VAI for getting the job done and putting a price on it. I'd rather have the DVDs out there. I was happy to pay for that Maria Tallchief disc. What I would complain about is parcelling out the Bell Telephone stuff out snip by snip. There are enough amazing ballet programs of BTH to put out several discs, which I'd happily pay for.

I think the Firebird is from the Bell Telephone Hour, which VAI has the broadcast rights. Here's the listing from the NYPL:

*Title Firebird: Pas de deux (Motion picture)

Imprint 1961.

Descript 1 reel. 9 1/2 min. 346 ft. : sd. b&w. ; 16 mm.

Note Telecast on Bell Telephone Hour. December 8, 1961, on NBC-TV. Producer: Burt Shevelove.

The Czinner film with the Firebird, Ondine, Swan Lake Act 2 mentioned has been shown a lot on public television.

Dale,

That's interesting, I just assumed this excerpt was from the film.

I will admit that VAI keeps coming up with a lot of material that has been unseen for a long time, and for that they should be creditited. But I hate scattershot way they program material on their discs.

Oh well, as you point out, at least they are releasing a lot of old TV stuff .

Richard