This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Info on Pugni Drigo Minkus

I have recently began contributing to the nearly non-exsistant ballet sections on Encyclopedia.com, and other stuff on the web........I am wanting any information if anyone can help on the composers Riccardo Drigo (especially), Cesare Pugni (especially), and Leon Minkus....well fo them especially as the articles on them are near non-exsistant, such as full names, actual full dates of birth/death and other specifics, particularly on Pugni, theres nothing anywhere on the web, save an italian article I found that I translated with my online translator.......Wasnt he the grandfather of Alexander Shiryaev...in Tchaikovsky's Ballets on page 161 he says "...my grandfather Pugni..." ?

Also I found in the bibliography of that book that an english language translation was published in 1982 of excerpts from Drigo's memoirs in The Dancing Times -

Leshkov, Denis Ivanovich, 'Personal Reminiscenes of R. E. Drigo........eng trans. The Dancing Times, LXII (1981-1982_ pp 577-8, 661-2. -what does the 'E' stand for?

I have contacted teh Danding Times to try to get a hold of this issue, as well as a library loan.

Are there any books, magazine articles, that could give good info as well as what these composers were like as people?

Edited by Solor

while researching on the web I found out some very interesting info on Cesare Pugni......

According to St. Leon, he had a severe drinking and gambling problem, so much so that the dancers had to take up a collection to feed his large family....

he wasnt a bad looking guy....a pic of him is in RJ wileys book "century of russian ballet", and he was rather handsome.

I have recently began contributing to the nearly non-exsistant ballet sections on Encyclopedia.com, and other stuff on the web........I am wanting any information if anyone can help on the composers Riccardo Drigo (especially), Cesare Pugni (especially), and Leon Minkus....well fo them especially as the articles on them are near non-exsistant, such as full names, actual full dates of birth/death and other specifics, particularly on Pugni, theres nothing anywhere on the web, save an italian article I found that I translated with my online translator.......Wasnt he the grandfather of Alexander Shiryaev...in Tchaikovsky's Ballets on page 161 he says "...my grandfather Pugni..." ?

Also I found in the bibliography of that book that an english language translation was published in 1982 of excerpts from Drigo's memoirs in The Dancing Times -

Leshkov, Denis Ivanovich, 'Personal Reminiscenes of R. E. Drigo........eng trans. The Dancing Times, LXII (1981-1982_ pp 577-8, 661-2. -what does the 'E' stand for?

I have contacted teh Danding Times to try to get a hold of this issue, as well as a library loan.

Are there any books, magazine articles, that could give good info as well as what these composers were like as people?

E stands for Eugenio. I wish you luck with your research