This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Changing opinions of ballets, choreographers, etc

I used to not like Act 2 of Balanchine's Midsummer's Night Dream. It was because I adored Act 1 so -- the fairies! The fights! Puck! Bottom! It was all so magical. The formalism of Act 2 by comparison seemed so -- well, it seemed so Petipa. I wanted the magic to continue. It wasn't till I saw the ballet several times that I started to appreciate Act 2 not just as a beautiful abstract dance, but as a continuation of Act 1. The pas de deux in Act 2 I see now as Balanchine's comment on marriage -- between two mature, loving people. Act 1 reflects the craziness of falling in love. Act 2 represents the stability and maturity two people need for a marriage to last. At least that's how I see it.

When I first started going to ballets, I didn't like the classical tutu at all. I liked the romantic tutu or longer dresses -- I just loved the billowing skirts. For me, *that* was ballet. The classical tutu seemed so stiff and remote by comparison. Took me a long time to appreciate how a classical tutu flattered a ballerina's line. I still think that the classical tutu is not for every ballerina, but I can appreciate how it flatters ballerinas in general now :thanks:

When I first saw Schauffus and Hart's Swan Lake (Makarova version), I didn't like Hart's legs and feet. I found them floppy. But now I think she has an exquisite line and, in this particular ballet, her expression (body language) is SO romantic...

And every time I watch Guillem's Cendrillon, I find her more fascinating. I think that my admiration for her technique has no end.

I didn't like Paloma Herrera until I saw her in Don Quixote with Ángel Corella. WOW!

And I have the opposite problem with Midsummer night's dream. I think the lovers part is absolutely boring (musically and choreographically), but I love the second act, because of that smell of Petipa (almost perfume). The pas de deux is perfect, continuous, exigent, I love it.