This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Pre-Bolshoi

Some years ago I had a girlfriend from Russia who told me that she did the pre-bolshoi education. I never really understood what that really meant. The words are no problem, like pre and school, but how does it fit into the context of the Bolshoi ballet?

Anyone there that can enlighten me?

Health and happiness

Walboi :lightbulb:

vrsfanatic probably knows the most about this, but I believe she might be referring to the two years of training that occur before "official" ballet training starts at age 10. The children would learn simple things such as how to stand and battement tendu. vrs has written about what these classes are like at the Vaganova Academy over on Ballet Talk for Dancers; I'll do a search and see if I can find the post.

Editing to add: Here it is! http://dancers.invisionzone.com/index.php?...ndpost&p=106607

vrsfanatic probably knows the most about this, but I believe she might be referring to the two years of training that occur before "official" ballet training starts at age 10.  The children would learn simple things such as how to stand and battement tendu.  vrs has written about what these classes are like at the Vaganova Academy over on Ballet Talk for Dancers; I'll do a search and see if I can find the post.

Editing to add:  Here it is! http://dancers.invisionzone.com/index.php?...ndpost&p=106607

Thank you Hans, as always you are very helpfull, thank you for the trouble finding for the link.

Health and Happiness

Walboi :wink:

Still I am not completly satisfied concerning this Pre-Bolshoi education, because my ex girlfriend learnt there for several years but never graduated further. She dance in several company's through out Russia at communistic times.

Is it preparing you for the real thing?

I am a bit ignorant about this though, sorry.

Walboi :devil:

I'm not totally sure what that could be...how old was she when she ended her studies at the Bolshoi?  Presumably after she left, she continued to dance...at a different school?

She was 18 when she left school. As was the custom she was asigned to a company as they saw fit, without her having a choice in it. But as far as I know no school after the pre bolshoi.

Walboi

I don't think I can answer this, as I don't know very much about the Bolshoi Academy, so I'm going to post your question on Ballet Talk for Dancers (accessible via the link at the top-right corner of this page) where people might know more.

I have never heard of a program called pre-Bolshoi that was more than the first two preparatory years prior to entrance examinations to either the Bolshoi or the Vaganova Academy. The Russian people love ballet. It was/is a part of their culture. There are many jobs to be had in dance... folk, musical theatre, dinner theatre, etc. During Soviet times children studied dance in clubs, like after school sports in the USA (remember it can be quite cold in the winter in Russia, so indoor physical activies could be of interest to the general public). There were many, many dance programs in many cities/towns. Perhaps this is what walboi's girlfriend called pre-Bolshoi? :thanks: