This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Eugene Onegin

Does anyone know if it's possible, and if it is, where I can get a recording of Eugene Onegin, with music by Tschaikovsky (as used in the full-length ballet), without the opera vocals (just the music). It would really be appreciated, thanks a lot in advance!

i assume you mean you are looking for kurt-heinz stolze's tchaikovsky arrangements for ONEGIN, john cranko's 3 act ballet.

the only recording i know of was sold when the stuttgart ballet was in nyc & performing ONEGIN. it has an Animato label and was recorded by the stuttgart state orchestra in 1999.

i have no idea if it's still available, but if so it would likely be had via the stuttgart ballet itself, perhaps on its website.

as you may know the music for cranko's ballet is not taken from tchaikovsky's opera EUGENE ONEGIN but from other works of tchaikovsky's.

there are (were) recordings of the famous waltz and polonaise from the opera itself on LP sometime back and may have been put on CD, all w/o any of the vocal segments that accompany the numbers in the opera itself.

good luck.

Yes there is a recording of Onegin - John Cranko's ballet. It is entitled "Onegin" but the cover is misleading as it seems to be of two people singing indicating the opera but when you look closely the girl has a pointe shoe on! It is in conjunction with the Stuttgart Ballet, the orchestra is Staatsorchester Stuttgart the conductor is James Tuggle. The label is either "Animato" or "Bauer Studios" I'm not quite sure which one as it isn't clear. I haven't listened to the whole thing yeah so I'm not sure how good it is. It's available at the Royal Opera House Shop... that's all I know.

Hope it helps