This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I watched this ballet and I loved it. I noticed something though...........

I have many films of the Bolshoi dancing, all at different points in the last 40 years or so (I have only seen them live once). I noticed when I watched this recent one, Fille du Pharoan, that the Bolshoi seems to have gotten better! I have a film of thier Bayadere from around 1990. The dancing in this more recent film shows an amazing improvement from the Bayadere film, where the dancing seemed very sloppy to me.

It seems the Bolshoi has cleaned up alot since the Grigorovich days. Anyone else notice this?

I watched this ballet and I loved it. I noticed something though...........

I have many films of the Bolshoi dancing, all at different points in the last 40 years or so (I have only seen them live once).  I noticed when I watched this recent one, Fille du Pharoan, that the Bolshoi seems to have gotten better! I have a film of thier Bayadere from around 1990. The dancing in this more recent film shows an amazing  improvement from the Bayadere film, where the dancing seemed very sloppy to me.

It seems the Bolshoi has cleaned up alot since the Grigorovich days. Anyone else notice this?

Solor, watching this I thought the same thing. It's been a long while since I've seen them live, but I've seen some videos in the meantime. I thought this was quite an improvement in both my live memories and my video ones.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Bolshoi next month in NYC, particularly Pharaoh's Daughter while seems both sort of silly but a spectacular show.

Richard

Maybe in Europe? (European DVD players are different than American ones, and there are compatibility issues.) I did see an ad for a DVD of this production due out in July, I believe, in this month's (June) Dance Magazine. Not sure I remember the label, I don't have a copy of the magazine where the ad was. I'm pretty sure it isn't Kultur, though.

Joseph -

The "Fille du Pharoan" DVD is available in Europe. I purchased it through the Royal Opera House web page:

http://rohshop.org/ click on the 'ballet' link box. It will take you yo a long list of the stuff they have for grabs!

I myself have a multi-regional DVD player, which is why I have the Euro format.

Good news Joseph - The DVD of the ballet is being released in the USA!!!! It will happen on July 12, 05!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!