This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Jock Soto appreciation thread

I remember "The Magic Flute" very well, both at the SAB Workshop and a short time later when Jock, Katrina Killian, and the entire ballet were taken into NYCB. Tobi Tobias's account of it makes me wonder why it hasn't ever been revived for other dancers. Not that anyone could recapture Jock's qualities in it. It wasn't too long after this that he began his long career of turning Heather Watts into a pretzel. They were great together, but I feel Jock came into his full-blown maturity only when she retired. Like most NYCB fans, I'll miss him.

I agree FarrellFan on what you said about Jock's maturity after Heather Watts

One most remember the much misaligned and somewhat public relationship that Heather Watts and Peter Martins had for over 20 yrs. It has often been noted that Heather couldn't dance for the last 10 yrs of her career, and the only reason she was in the scene at all was because of Soto (Gottlieb, et al.)

This of course is pityful, considering it cost Mr. Soto a great deal of artistic growth.

I think Soto got pegged more as a partner because of the circumstances regarding a somewhat ailing Watts. And maybe, this made Soto an even greater partner.. Who is to know.

But I appreciated the thread - as it mentioned Soto in a broader context of a great dancer, not just a great partner.

The great ting about City ballet is that it shows people like Soto, with his great artistry, and not just show bunnie doing leaps and turns more suited to Cirque de Solei.

-Adagio