This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Opera in Ballets

In Kent Stowell's production of The Nutcracker, he interpolated the Mozartean pastorale from Tchaikovsky's Queen of Spades into the Act I party scene. Three dancers perform a "masque" and re-enact the story of the Nutcracker, Mouse King, and Princess Pirlipat from the original story. (The first is at the beginning of the ballet, when three children in character emerge from "under the stage" of Maurice Sendak's set to enact the story.)

In Kent Stowell's production of The Nutcracker, he interpolated the Mozartean pastorale from Tchaikovsky's Queen of Spades into the Act I party scene.  Three dancers perform a "masque" and re-enact the story of the Nutcracker, Mouse King, and Princess Pirlipat from the original story.  (The first is at the beginning of the ballet, when three children in character emerge from "under the stage" of Maurice Sendak's set to enact the story.)

Off the top of my head, there's singing in his Romeo and Juliet too, as part of the entertainment in the ballroom scene, though not really potrayed as opera.