This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

LA SONNAMBULA

my copy's on seraphim - but i guess that's a subsidiary of angel.

it's not, alas on the multi-disc, FETE DU BALLET.

i can't think of where else it might be recorded.

i suppose you've tried all the apt used disc sources?

ebay? searching: night shadow, sonnambula.

sorry, maybe the music savvy folk here know of used disc catalogues, etc.

i see you're in nyc. i got a few good used discs in the vendors who hang out on 5th ave. just above the plaza.

does tower annex still exist? there used to be any no. of odd items there.

good luck.

You could try an online search for Vittorio Rieti. Perhaps it is included in an album of his other works.

On the other hand, if it is the music itself you love, why not go to the source: Vincenzo Bellini's opera La Sonnambula? There are a number of excellent recordings, Sutherland,Callas & Scotto among them. The Scotto has the virtue of the supreme Alfredo Kraus; the Sutherland tenor is Pavarotti & the Callas features the young Cossotto in a relatively small role. I do not recommend the Aliberti version: a Callas clone with all of her mannerisms & none of her artistry.

I have Ballet Gala, which I found in a used book store. It's a 2-CD set that contains, in addition to Night Shadow (as it's called on the disc, and it's beautifully played by the London Festival Ballet Orchestra under Terence Kern), the pas de deux from Flower Festival and Corsaire, Czerny's music for Etudes, and the third act of Napoli. It's an indispensible recording for fans of these ballets, marred only by too-fast tempi for Napoli. Well worth searching out.

Thank you for the tip on th LP. I'll check it out. In the meantime Amazon.com found the cd but wouldn't let me purchase it because since the time I placed the order in January my credit card was reissued and their computer software would not let me update my information. So they canceled my pre-order and said I could place a new order.